• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has rooting changed your mind about getting the EVO?

Evo seemed nice at first, but rooting of the Hero has surely stopped me from rushing out and getting one right away at premium price. Speed was claimed to be one of the great improvements with Froyo. When developers get their hands on it, this may free up some scarce resources on the Hero (assuming they want to bother with a Hero version). We already have wifi hot spot free of charge. Evo and its associated extra charges don't seem worth it IF we can run flash 10.1 and other programs with a more efficient OS. That of course is a big IF. Perhaps we could squeak by running 2.2 and a version or two beyond if we overclock, and better manage the small quantity of memory.

Upvote 0
In answer to the OP: No .... BUT

I'm not getting the EVO because of its size. I was able to hold it and use it for a minute yesterday, and I am so glad I didn't pre-order. The EVO is WAY too big for my purposes. I will just wait for another year or so when they come out with a phone that is the size of the Sprint Hero.

Also, after hearing how Froyo (2.2) is speeding up things (450% faster), I know that I won't have to upgrade my Hero for a while because, unlike Windoze OS's, it seems like Android OS's are becoming less and less resource intensive. Yes, I know we don't even have 2.1 yet, but the devs will probably get a version of Froyo ported over to the Hero in the near future considering they have had 2.1 for a while now.

Like you, I have always felt that the EVO might be too big for my taste. I love the size of my Hero. It strikes a really good balance between size and functionality, and since I have it rooted I get really good performance. However, the shear specs for the EVO was making me at least consider getting it, but not before my renewal eligibility date in October. Today I saw an article discussing Sprint's proposed pricing plans for the EVO, and after reading that I must say I am definitely leaning away from getting it. First, supposedly the cost will be their typical voice/data plans plus $10 a month for 4G. Seeing as how their 4G network is only in a few places, I can't see myself paying for something I can't use. If they waive the $10 if you are in an area without 4G, then maybe it would be worth considering. The other big cost is that they will reportedly charge $30 a month for the wi-fi hotspot feature. Seeing as how I can do wi-fi tethering with my rooted Hero, I think I'll pass for now.

The bottom line? The EVO is an awesome phone, but I can't see myself paying $40 per month above my current pricing plan when my Hero is doing all I need and more.

Upvote 0
Although I do like 2.1 on my Hero, its gone that day the Evo is released. Advantages of the Evo are way too big

4.3 inch screen vs 3.2 is a huge difference
Higher resolution display
1ghz processor and 1GB of RAM
8MP camera
4G
WIFI hotspot

Those are pretty major upgrades over the Hero.

Actually, as much as I've seen you complain about the Hero I am surprised you haven't gotten rid of it before now. :) And weren't you pretty certain they'd never get 2.1 on the Hero?

Upvote 0
Serious? How can one upgrade the hero to be a wifi hotspot?

Rooted heros can get the app "WiFi Tether" which makes them a hotspot. Fresh roms come with it. It is great, if you need the interweb on the go!

AND..... I went into a best buy today and was looking at the dummy floor model. The salesman came up to me and I asked if they had a real one I could play with, he said no but the Sprint rep had been in earlier in the week and he played with his Evo. He went on to say that Sprint was charging the $10 fee regardless of whether you had access to 4g or not. I told him it was crazy that I had to pay more a month to run on the same network just to get an Evo!!!!! He called it an "experience" fee. I said that was the most idiotic thing I have ever heard of and that I would never own an Evo for that reason alone. He shrugged me off, and went on his way because sprint is trying to rape evo owners who can't use 4g and I called him on it and he got upset.... WTF sprint?????

Upvote 0
Well for me, the EVOs and Incredibles are just fairy dust since money < Phone. That and I just bought the Hero a month and a half ago.

I am going to be that weird guy that has a smart phone from like 5 years ago that just happens to be still hanging on for dear life with the buttons falling out and the screen flashing and screwing up and when someone asks why I don't upgrade i'll tell them.. "Hell it still runs SNES roms just fine" :p (in reference to all those old Palm users, you rock!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones