• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Have I bricked my device?

HTCD

Lurker
Dec 21, 2011
So basically my phone fell months ago but only recently a section of the touch screen became unresponsive. Mainly the middle section, the top keypad etc..

Well I have screen lock on, or rather had and after many unsuccessful attempts it has locked to me entering my Google account. It's hell because I know it however I simply can't enter it due to me not being able to enter 1-9 or Q,W,E,R,T,Y,U,I,O or P and my email address has multiple of them.

I have tried a factory reset but it won't work. It seems I can hold down the power button and the volume down for an hour but nothing happens from it. I've heard resetting works as a bypass but, yep.. sadly the reset button is located on the non responsive part.

So basically is this phone wrecked? There is a silver lining though, I am due an upgrade/out of my contract in a few days but even still I won't have the money for a phone for a while and this is my alarm clock for work, my iPod as well as obviously my means of getting in contact with people so if anyone knows anything that would help, well that would be a Christmas miracle to me.

Hi, thanks a million for the reply and even the effort of seeing for yourself (and conferring with another) if anything could be done. Well it's a shame because besides that it works fine but ce la vie!

I'm not sure to be honest.. I have a bill to pay off and they wouldn't talk through my options until I paid it off which I am doing tomorrow. Hopefully I will get something. I have my eye on the Sensation XL.

I'll post when I do know for an update! Thanks again and have a great Christmas if I don't post before it!

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks a million for the reply and even the effort of seeing for yourself (and conferring with another) if anything could be done. Well it's a shame because besides that it works fine but ce la vie!

I'm not sure to be honest.. I have a bill to pay off and they wouldn't talk through my options until I paid it off which I am doing tomorrow. Hopefully I will get something. I have my eye on the Sensation XL.

I'll post when I do know for an update! Thanks again and have a great Christmas if I don't post before it!

No problemo dude... like I say... gutted that we couldn't give you a fix for it, but hopefully you'll get a new phone anyway! :)

Be sure to come back when you do get a new phone... I'm sure you'll find this place useful again!!

Upvote 0
OK so being one for not giving up easily, last night I gave one last ditched attempt. I slotted my sim card half way out to get a prompt that it had not been inserted properly and would I like to shit down or restart. Needless to say 'restart' was now on a part where I could touch it, I got a key and wedged it into the volume down button and VOILA!

IT WORKED. My phone is back to normal, thank GOD!

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
OK so being one for not giving up easily, last night I gave one last ditched attempt. I slotted my sim card half way out to get a prompt that it had not been inserted properly and would I like to shit down or restart. Needless to say 'restart' was now on a part where I could touch it, I got a key and wedged it into the volume down button and VOILA!

IT WORKED. My phone is back to normal, thank GOD!

WOW - that's great news!!

Glad you're soted!!! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones