• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Have I forgotten anything?

I've plucked up courage and I'm readyto flash and try a custom ROM. After reading up on the ROMs available I think I'm going to try Redux 1.2.

What I've done so far:
Created a gold card.
Rooted using Unrevoked.
Put a 512mb EXT3 partition on my sd card.

Next steps:
Back up apps with Titanium Backup and my SMS's and contacts with My Backup.

A quick question here, some of my apps are on my sd card,where will Titanium restore them to? I read in a faq that A2SD+ needs all the apps in the phones internal memory to "do it's thing". Also what option should I use in Titanium, the "Back up User Apps" option?
Ok that was two questions ;)

Download Redux 1.2
Boot phone into recovery mode, take a Nandroid back up.
Wipe the phone.
Flash the ROM.
Let the phone boot up.
Set up the network. ( I assume you just search for the T Mobile network or do I need to make a note of anything before wiping?)
Download Market via the browser.
Download Titanium backup and My backup and restore my apps, SMS's and contacts.

Sorry for the longish post just want to get things straight before starting :D

you just need to backup all user apps, these will be saved on your sd card, and when you have installed your rom it will ask you to sign into google, so do that and it will ask you if you some stuff, so just read that and decide which options you want, when you are booted up, go to the market and get titanium backup, start it up and restore missing apps with data, you will have to select install for each app unless you have the pro version,
you should also flash the a2sd file after you have installed the rom.
when you are done all your apps will be stored on the sd card in the ext partition,
thats it,
its time to play then, just restore your sms, google should have backed up your contacts, thats if you have selected all your contacts to be saved as a google contact.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones