• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Having to Reboot to Require 4G?

FitchVA

Apr 28, 2010
Sorry - Typo in Title. It should be "reacquire"

I have an odd problem and was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if there was a solution. I have my same Verizon Nexus that I bought on release day. As of late, I've noticed that my phone will sit on a 3G connection a lot more than it used to. If I reboot the phone, I'll come back with an excellent 4G connection for a good period of time (until I need to reboot it again).

I usually notice this at work because I keep it right in front of me. At first, I was just chalking it up to coincidence and, as an IT'er, when it doubt, reboot! right?

But a teammate that sits about 4 feet away has the exact same phone. So we can easily ask if either has a 4G connection if one of us drops 4G. His will randomly drop but his will reacquire in a few seconds. Mine will drop and stay dropped for a long period of time. I usually don't wait and see if it'll get 4G on its own because it's faster to reboot - and it always works.

Thoughts?

2nd - I've had to force mine via toggling airplane mode or LTE toggle. Happened a lot about a month and a half back - was seeing this a lot at home but not anywhere else. Haven't had much of an issue lately.

Ah, I didn't think about toggling on/off airplane mode rather than rebooting. I'll give that a go as I'm on "stock" android (grrrrr Verizon). I'll try that next time. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones