• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Having trouble with Address Book (or contacts)..

hmdsidd

Jul 13, 2009
I recently switched phones from BB 8900 (Javelin) to HTC Magic. Only way to transfer all my contacts that I could figure out was to transfer all my contacts to my MS Outlook, and then from there take all the contacts to my HTC Magic. Everything went perfect, but now the trouble began.

Any new contact that I add to the phone gets added to the bottom of my contacts list. The contacts are supposed to be in alphabetical order, but the contacts i got from Outlook always stay on top, and then the new contacts I add are being added to the bottom of my contacts list. So it looks something like this:

Amanda
Camron
Ray
Vazintaris
Andy
John

This is really troubling me, any way to fix this that I may have overlooked? Thanks.

This may well be a syncing issue. I say this because I switch phones a lot (no, really.. a LOT) and have run into these type of issues before. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but here's what I'd suggest...

Have you logged into your Google account from your pc and looked at how they are listed there? Then compare the Outlook added contacts with the ones added from the phone?

I suspect that you may see that the Outlook fields are mapping incorrectly to the Google Contact fields fields.

I had this issue when doing my initial syncing back when I had a G1 last year from Outlook. I also had the issue when I switched from Windows to Mac, and from G1 to Sony, and then from Sony to Magic. In my experience it's best to make a decision on how you want to standardise your contact fields and work through them all to bring them in line with that standard.

(Don't forget to back up your Outlook contacts before starting to standardise them).

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot, I figured it out.

I logged into my G-Mail and the contacts weren't listed there at all... So, using an app from the Market, I imported all my contacts into an CSV file and imported those contacts into my Gmail on the PC. it put all the contacts in an alphabetical order for me. So i just cleared out my contacts list, and re-sync'd my phone. All my contacts are now there, alphabetically (and gmail merged some of my phone numbers with email addresses on gmail automatically:D).

I tested, and any new contact i add gets put into its proper order, not the bottom of the list.

TL;DR: It worked, thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot, I figured it out.

I logged into my G-Mail and the contacts weren't listed there at all... So, using an app from the Market, I imported all my contacts into an CSV file and imported those contacts into my Gmail on the PC. it put all the contacts in an alphabetical order for me. So i just cleared out my contacts list, and re-sync'd my phone. All my contacts are now there, alphabetically (and gmail merged some of my phone numbers with email addresses on gmail automatically:D).

I tested, and any new contact i add gets put into its proper order, not the bottom of the list.

TL;DR: It worked, thanks!

Good to hear you got it sorted.

I keep my stuff synced macbook - google - phone using Spanning Sync.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones