• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HBOOT 1.47 and still can't root 1.5>OTA 2.1

You can share that script that has been pulled down so we can try to replicate your success??:D

I don't think it would help, but here are the details of what I went through:

a. downloaded and installed Eclips3's HTC Eris Master Application

b. invoked Step #1 (download); this one step worked

c. invoked Step #2 (get phone rooted); this step worked too (this is the base root ROM (very old 2.1 version)

d. invoked Step #3 (recovery install); this step hung-up on me (many times) without me being able to tell if it really worked (I believe that it didn't)

e. invoked Step #4 (new ROM install); this step also hung-up on me; I believe my hangs were examples of the reason that this this app got pulled by Eclips3 until they could figure-out what is causing these hang-ups;

I tried the app's steps #2 through #4 many times before trying on a different computer (original was Vista; new one was Windows 7); Step #3 (recovery install) acted a little different on the Windows 7 box, but I still couldn't boot into recovery...

After many cycles of doing this, I finally decided to manually follow the instructions for flashing Amon-RA's custom recovery (this is documented in many posts on both AF and xda; I used Ivanmmjs "[Walkthrough] From stock (1.5) to rooted 2.1 (update - new link)" thread on xda for these instructions. That finally did seem to work!

Side note: I actually believe that there are many folks who got hung-up in the EMA just like I did and got the base (old) 2.1 root ROM installed and thought that they were "fully" rooted. They were rooted, but they didn't get the custom ROM that they probably thought they were :(

After this, I just had to make sure my custom ROM (Ivan's Eris Official 1.0 w/OC) was on my /sdcard, reboot into Amon-RAs custom recovery, do the wipes / factory reset, and then flash the new ROM. Sounds easy to me now, but it was scary at the time :).

Keep in mind that I was trying to follow the instructions very carefully and deliberately (and slowly). I checked and double-checked my typing, commands, etc. I originally decided to use the EMA because I thought it was going to be a very simple and painless process. It was for many folks, but I think Windows Vista was my issue. Like I said, it got me started and did get me rooted--I just needed to finish the steps for completing the custom ROM installation.

Again, I want to thank Eclips3 and Jamezelle for making the EMA available to everyone and working hard to develop and update it. Also, Ivanmmj for his awesome Eris Official 1.0 w/OC custom ROM. And to Paul Kopalek for guiding me through my last steps toward root-hood :)

I hope this helps and I hope you guys get root! Let me know if you have any other questions.

P.S. it does look like the Eris Master Application is back-up and available now (thanks Eclips3).

Upvote 0
I think it is no longer at the link posted?:thinking:

Did you mean the application or the threads?

Here's the local thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/72676-application-eris-master-application-r00t.html

and here is the xda thread: [Application] Eris Master Application [R00T] - 6/3/10 - xda-developers

I know they are in the process of renaming the application to be Android-generic so it will work on multiple phones. [it does look like the AF thread is not as current as the xda thread...the download links look different...]

Upvote 0
Without the application the threads are useless. The application is not here HTC Droid Eris ROM Site

darthanubis, sorry, I get you now: the files are not listed in the download site...didn't realize that they had re-pulled them.

I saw a post by Eclips3 at 3:43 AM yesterday on the xda site (last page of the xda link from above) that said

"found a major bug in the app. we are fixing it now. we are also going to try and incorporate another xp bug fix as well and upload both fixes at one. will be up shortly.

stay tuned here, or the irc server, or our new TWITTER account:

twitter.com/THE_ECLIPS3"

I guess they're still tinkering with it...I'd give you my version, but it is one of the early ones and I did have problems using it. I don't have an xda account to ask for a timeframe, but you might tweet him (I don't really use twitter, but this might be an option).

Sorry again for your troubles...I hope you can get rooted soon.

Upvote 0
I'll take what you got. It is better than nothing. I just need to get past the initial root procedure anyway.:cool:

Its on my laptop at home...I'll try to send you the .zip this evening.

I'm not sure that this is the magic answer though, since Eclips3's application basically just tries to make the whole rooting process easier by automating the steps--its still going to try do what you have probably already tried to do manually (i.e., copy the base root image to your /sdcard, flash it so you can install recovery, etc.). I'm betting you'll still get hung-up in the same place you are now :(

I'll send you a PM when I get home with how I can send you the app.

Upvote 0
When you got the md5 hash on that PB00IMG.zip, did you check it AFTER you moved it to the SD Card, or before?

Also, stranger errors have happened if you haven't FORMATTED your SD Card. Some say to format fat32 in Windows. My best success is using the phone's built-in Format utility, in home > menu > settings > SD Card and Storage > Format SD Card (make sure you drag everything from your SD card onto your computer, to save it, like pictures and stuff, BEFORE you format it!).

THEN, put the PB00IMG.zip on the card, THEN check the md5 hash (of the copy on the card, not the copy on the computer) and verify that it's 63xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx whatever it was.

Then turn off the phone, turn on with VOL DOWN + POWER, and see what you get.

I also wonder if the OTA was changed slightly to un-allow the leaked PB00IMG.zip to work (although eu1 doesn't think so?)

Upvote 0
Its on my laptop at home...I'll try to send you the .zip this evening.

<snipped>

I'll send you a PM when I get home with how I can send you the app.

darthanubis, I just sent you a PM and am able to email you the files if you still want. By the way, erisuser1 and pkopalek are your best bets for help with this (they know waaay more than me about root stuff :)

Upvote 0
I also wonder if the OTA was changed slightly to un-allow the leaked PB00IMG.zip to work (although eu1 doesn't think so?)

Paul,

Just for grins (today) I rolled back my phone to 1.5 (1.17.605.1), and then accepted the OTA-2.1 after that. Pretty much I burn everything back onto the phone that was in MR2 - even the radio and the hboot. (The only thing I don't know how to do is the NVRAM .nb0 file).

No problem re-rooting with the 1.47.0000 S-ON bootloader on the phone. So, for now - no "malicious" OTAs.

darthanubis' phone is certainly a curiosity - as far as I know, he's the only person in the world that has reported that exact set of circumstances. (Unable to root even though the 1.47.0000 bootloader is present).

eu1

Upvote 0
When you got the md5 hash on that PB00IMG.zip, did you check it AFTER you moved it to the SD Card, or before?

Also, stranger errors have happened if you haven't FORMATTED your SD Card. Some say to format fat32 in Windows. My best success is using the phone's built-in Format utility, in home > menu > settings > SD Card and Storage > Format SD Card (make sure you drag everything from your SD card onto your computer, to save it, like pictures and stuff, BEFORE you format it!).

THEN, put the PB00IMG.zip on the card, THEN check the md5 hash (of the copy on the card, not the copy on the computer) and verify that it's 63xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx whatever it was.

Then turn off the phone, turn on with VOL DOWN + POWER, and see what you get.

And now that I read it again, erisuser1's experiment should pretty much prove the OTA difference theory wrong. The OTA should still be fine to root.

What about the rest of my quote, listed above? Format the SD Card with the phone, THEN put PB00IMG.zip on there?

Check the md5 hash of the PB00IMG.ZIP AFTER putting it on the SD card, using adb?

adb shell md5sum /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip

Upvote 0
And now that I read it again, erisuser1's experiment should pretty much prove the OTA difference theory wrong. The OTA should still be fine to root.

What about the rest of my quote, listed above? Format the SD Card with the phone, THEN put PB00IMG.zip on there?

Check the md5 hash of the PB00IMG.ZIP AFTER putting it on the SD card, using adb?

adb shell md5sum /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip

Yeah, it SHOULD still be fine to root, should.

Nothing is wrong with the card or file, and yes the md5 matches. That is how I rooted a phone with the exact file and sdcard as I mentioned in a previous post. It seems to be THIS particular phone. But others are also getting the Main Version error. So, what is different about these phones from others?

Again, the ONLY difference between the phone I rooted and the phone I have is the one that I rooted I did not allow OTA before I attempted to root.

I don't know what else to add.:(

Upvote 0
Yeah, it SHOULD still be fine to root, should.

Nothing is wrong with the card or file, and yes the md5 matches. That is how I rooted a phone with the exact file and sdcard as I mentioned in a previous post. It seems to be THIS particular phone. But others are also getting the Main Version error. So, what is different about these phones from others?

Again, the ONLY difference between the phone I rooted and the phone I have is the one that I rooted I did not allow OTA before I attempted to root.

I don't know what else to add.:(

I would format the card again.

Check the md5 again, AFTER formatting.

Then I'd try again.

Upvote 0
I have had my Eris less then a week and this is the os running on it when i purchased it.

Firmware version

Baseband Version

Kernel Version
2.6.29-8a03cb9a
htc-kernal@18-2#1

Build number
2.36.605.1 CL 165907 Release-keys

Software Number

destrex XC SHIP S-ON
Hboot 1.47.0000

PB00IMG.zip (md5: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94)

i put the PB00IMG.zip http://www.sendspace.com/file/g4n2q4 on the sd card and power down the phone, then volum down and power on to hboot. it goes through the checking sd for images then gets to the pbooimg.zip and i get the blue bar in the upper right hand corner it loads fully then i get the error saying that the main version is older update fail.

i am using the all in one zip from this tread, and wondering if there is a newer img then the one i am using?http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

Upvote 0
I have had my Eris less then a week and this is the os running on it when i purchased it.

Firmware version

Baseband Version

Kernel Version
2.6.29-8a03cb9a
htc-kernal@18-2#1

Build number
2.36.605.1 CL 165907 Release-keys

Software Number

destrex XC SHIP S-ON
Hboot 1.47.0000

PB00IMG.zip (md5: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94)

i put the PB00IMG.zip on the sd card and power down the phone, then volum down and power on to hboot. it goes through the checking sd for images then gets to the pbooimg.zip and i get the blue bar in the upper right hand corner it loads fully then i get the error saying that the main version is older update fail.

i am using the all in one zip from this tread, and wondering if there is a newer img then the one i am using?http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

phrite,

Glad you posted here...the last link you posted is what a lot of folks have used and it does use the same base root ROM that you tried.

Maybe someone has another idea about what issues you guys are having rooting your phone. Anyone? Bueller....Bueller? :D

Hate to suggest this, but what about the 2.1 leak root method? :eek: ...desparate times...

Good luck.

Upvote 0
phrite,

Glad you posted here...the last link you posted is what a lot of folks have used and it does use the same base root ROM that you tried.

Maybe someone has another idea about what issues you guys are having rooting your phone. Anyone? Bueller....Bueller? :D

Hate to suggest this, but what about the 2.1 leak root method? :eek: ...desparate times...

Good luck.

What exactly is the 2.1 leak root method? :thinking:

Also going to start a thread on xda about this, maybe they can shine some light into this matter as well.

i will keep everyone posted on this.

Upvote 0
What exactly is the 2.1 leak root method? :thinking:

Also going to start a thread on xda about this, maybe they can shine some light into this matter as well.

i will keep everyone posted on this.

phrite,

Read through this thread over on XDA: [Tutorial] Root for LEAKERS 7/4/10 - xda-developers. Also, for background, here's one of the original threads about it: Updated root 1.49 - xda-developers

There's also yet another method being explored...haven't read it recently: Development to Root 2.1v3 leak (07/11) (Evo-derived) - xda-developers

FYI, some of the same folks that are on XDA also post and read here in AF.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks!

I rooted both my Erises!

However, I talked VZW into sending me a Moto Droid. I'll have it next week!

darthanubis,

Glad to hear you finally got rooted. I really felt bad that you had the "right" HBOOT version and still couldn't root.

Good luck with the Droid too (you can root that one too! :eek::D).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
darthanubis,

Glad to hear you finally got rooted. I really felt bad that you had the "right" HBOOT version and still couldn't root.

Good luck with the Droid too (you can root that one too! :eek::D).

Cheers!

So this is what a smart phone is really like! DROOOIIID! Love it. The Eris was a sad cruel joke, that I hope to rid my GF of. Thanks for the sharing of information to allow me to realize I bought a shitty device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones