• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root hboot .79. want to install gingerbread

jxlee0215

Sep 10, 2011
hw 003
s-off
hboot: eng .79
clockwork recovery

i wanted to install mikg rom, but it won't give me the option under recovery. only have mikfroyo. do i need to update hboot or flash stock rom first?
didn't want upgrade hboot using stock rom, and not be able to downgrade hboot later. did read a few faq, but not sure how hboot is relevance to radio/rom.

hw 003
s-off
hboot: eng .79
clockwork recovery

i wanted to install mikg rom, but it won't give me the option under recovery. only have mikfroyo. do i need to update hboot or flash stock rom first?
didn't want upgrade hboot using stock rom, and not be able to downgrade hboot later. did read a few faq, but not sure how hboot is relevance to radio/rom.

what recovery do you have? it does not matter what hboot you have. DO NOT MESS WITH HBOOTS. it is one of the few ways you could brick your phone.

Upvote 0
radio 1.39.00.04.26
recovery: clockwork v5.0.2.2

i tried to install amon recovery thru the pc36img.zip but couldn't.

did you name it correctly? it needs to be PC36IMG exactly. do not add an extra zip to the name as windows hides extensions. also did you place it on the root of the card? that means not in any folders, just on the card? hboot should see it if you did it correctly.

also your clockwork mod recovery should be able to flash any rom for the most part. just be aware that some flashable files will not work with clockwork mod 3 or higher.

Upvote 0
did you name it correctly? it needs to be PC36IMG exactly. do not add an extra zip to the name as windows hides extensions. also did you place it on the root of the card? that means not in any folders, just on the card? hboot should see it if you did it correctly.

also your clockwork mod recovery should be able to flash any rom for the most part. just be aware that some flashable files will not work with clockwork mod 3 or higher.

yes, it says image error. was trying to install amon 2.3. so i can just flash mikg once i get amon installed?

Upvote 0
yes, it says image error. was trying to install amon 2.3. so i can just flash mikg once i get amon installed?

that is normally what hboot will say no matter what. so looks like it is not detecting the file. make sure that you are naming it correctly. remember no zips. and it has to be on the root of the card.

Upvote 0
that is normally what hboot will say no matter what. so looks like it is not detecting the file. make sure that you are naming it correctly. remember no zips. and it has to be on the root of the card.
i think i need a .zip extension at the end. i have unhide extension on my pc checked off. also it's on root of sd. i have used recovery from this link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705026 for the download

Upvote 0
i think i need a .zip extension at the end. i have unhide extension on my pc checked off. also it's on root of sd. i have used recovery from this link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705026 for the download

ok just make sure that there is only one extension on it. some people add an extra zip so that the file looks like PC36IMG.zip.zip and that will not work. also make sure you capitalize the PC36IMG part of the name. that is a good place to get it. maybe start over and re-download the file and try again.

Upvote 0
ok just make sure that there is only one extension on it. some people add an extra zip so that the file looks like PC36IMG.zip.zip and that will not work. also make sure you capitalize the PC36IMG part of the name. that is a good place to get it. maybe start over and re-download the file and try again.

yes i tried downloading 3 times and other sources. still getting the error. also it not zip.zip it's just the PC36IMG.zip and on root. any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
since you have clockwork mod 5. try using rom manager to switch your recovery for you. this is probably the only time i will ever recommend using rom manager for anything. once you have amon ra you can't use rom manager anymore. it uses clockwork mod to do everything. so just ignore the warning it gives you.
yes that worked. amon installed. so now just install mikG rom in recovery?

Upvote 0
yes, i flashed roms before, just wasn't so sure about the hboot compatability because it didn't give me to mikG rom in clockwork. thanks and thanked :eek:

ahh no worries. just glad you have amon ra now. just make sure that you have at least one nandroid backup with wimax keys saved. you have to check it otherwise amon ra will not back them up like clockwork mod does. it is a possibility that you could loose them while flashing. so keep at least one saved on your computer or in dropbox or both.

Upvote 0
ahh no worries. just glad you have amon ra now. just make sure that you have at least one nandroid backup with wimax keys saved. you have to check it otherwise amon ra will not back them up like clockwork mod does. it is a possibility that you could loose them while flashing. so keep at least one saved on your computer or in dropbox or both.
will do. thanks again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones