• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Head over to Motorola support forum and sign the petition to remove Blur & extra apps

I agree with you it would be nice, but why buy the phone knowing it had blur and other pre-installed apps?

cause there was no choice in the matter if you wanted this awesome phone !!!! plus moto has stated they are going to start steering away from blur and focusing more on awesome devices so why not let them start backing that up with the X? just saying :D

Upvote 0
at this point...this is such a mute subject. i mean if it REALLY bothers u...root it!
i mean u can...u may be a lil chicken or scared (ok that was not necessary lol) but u should. hell the root APP was in the MARKET!
its since been removed but...its out there. one click u have root. shortly after that u get titanium backup. go to the root section up top and find safe to remove apps (most of it not all of blur) and be on your marry way.
a pettition to give us access to the boot loader so we can load 2.2 NOW!!
im with that :D

Upvote 0
at this point...this is such a mute subject. i mean if it REALLY bothers u...root it!
i mean u can...u may be a lil chicken or scared (ok that was not necessary lol) but u should. hell the root APP was in the MARKET!
its since been removed but...its out there. one click u have root. shortly after that u get titanium backup. go to the root section up top and find safe to remove apps (most of it not all of blur) and be on your marry way.
a pettition to give us access to the boot loader so we can load 2.2 NOW!!
im with that :D

I hear you, but this is to let them know we don't like the Applistic tactics of being force to have/use non Android functions. If we say nothing they are just going to get worse. We shouldn't have to root the phones to remove apps or kill services.

Upvote 0
I agree with you it would be nice, but why buy the phone knowing it had blur and other pre-installed apps?

I agree with this "petition" to request Motorola, and others, change. The UI should be an option in the market to download or uninstall. The same with those preinstalled apps like CityID (hate that stupid thing). Yes, rooting is an option (on this phone), but not always something people wish to do. I can ignore the other apps like Blockbuster or Amazon MP3, but City ID pops up every time nagging, not just when you launch it like the others. The other question is why buy this if you know it has xxxx. Because I like the manufacturer OR the hardware. Doesn't mean I have to like the software implementation they have.

Upvote 0
The other question is why buy this if you know it has xxxx. Because I like the manufacturer OR the hardware. Doesn't mean I have to like the software implementation they have.

The Nexus One is gone, what other options due we have now? With Google out of the hardware game we have to speak up if we want a real android phone. Otherwise we will get what they give us and I fear we will start to see a rift in android, just like Linux, which truly hurts the brand.

Upvote 0
at this point...this is such a mute subject.

Um, that's "moot" - a mute subject would be someone who can't talk.

i mean if it REALLY bothers u...root it!

Great, so we have to do something that voids the warranty in order to remove pre-installed bloatware.

Why does that make this a "moot" point? It's not about whether or not it's possible to remove the installed junk, it's about the fact that a method had to be devised outside of normal operating instructions that technically voids the warranty (yes, I know it's reversible) to simply remove junk from a device that you own.

hell the root APP was in the MARKET!

Sweet, so... Find an app that was pulled from the market, install that app via non-standard methods, run it - thus voiding your warranty, pay for and download ANOTHER app, find one thread in one forum online, and then you can start removing the junk.

I don't understand your argument here. It's a computing device that you own, that has stuff installed on it. Why shouldn't you be able to remove that stuff if you don't want it? Wouldn't you have a problem if some resource-intensive virus scanner was hogging all of your CPU cycles, but uninstalling it meant dancing through a whole process, voiding your warranty in the process, and meaning that you couldn't run Windows Update without putting it back?

Upvote 0
I would like it to read:

To be able to REMOVE pre-installed apps.

As far as pre-installed apps go, I have no problems with it. You have to think the AVERAGE person has no idea how to add an app to a phone. It would make more work for the carrier in phone calls and more cost to us for the carrier to hire personnel to help people with this because you know they are gonna call and ask how to do it.

Upvote 0
The pre-installed apps are not due to Moto but Verizon. And as far as blur goes who cares with this version. And I am sure if it had stock android on it the first thing that would be downloaded with be a launcher. At which point it is no longer stock android as well. It is the launcher skin.
And to just add more fuel Moto has already said that blur is going to go away. My guess is with Gingerbread. So at that point it will be a stock phone if they just let blur go into the sunset.

Upvote 0
I can ignore the other apps like Blockbuster or Amazon MP3, but City ID pops up every time nagging, not just when you launch it like the others.

I agree, I don't mind Amazon and Blockbuster but something that pops up repeatedly begging you for money is a pretty low tactic. There should be a "go away" button at the very minimum so it doesn't pop up again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones