• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Headphone jack whine?

Citizen Coyote

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2011
Austin, TX
I finally got around to loading up a ton of songs on my Photon and started using it as a music player, but I noticed that the headphone jack seems to have a significant high-pitched whine one you start playing a song. I use a pair of Sennheiser earbuds that have never given me problems anywhere else. The whine is present using both Google Music and the Photon's built-in player. Anyone else experienced this?

:thinking:

I finally got around to loading up a ton of songs on my Photon and started using it as a music player, but I noticed that the headphone jack seems to have a significant high-pitched whine one you start playing a song. I use a pair of Sennheiser earbuds that have never given me problems anywhere else. The whine is present using both Google Music and the Photon's built-in player. Anyone else experienced this?

Yup. I've noticed that, even not using the headset jack, but using the cardock.

The only app that seems to be able to eliminate that is PowerAmp (which is still my favorite music player on the market), as far as I know. The reason it eliminates the whine is because there's an equalizer that you can adjust the levels accordingly, so that the sound on the player doesn't overpower the sound output.

I don't know how to adjust it for Google Music though.

Reactions: Citizen Coyote
Upvote 0

I returned my first Photon due to background whining and significant static, sound even cutting out. The replacement phone has the background whine, as well. Any one found any solutions? All music players on my phone have the whine.

Upvote 0
I registered just to let you guys know my solution. I was having the same high pitched sound, no matter what song or application I was using. I was exploring my sound menu, only to come across "Audio effects". I opened it, and it said I had an equalizer activated. Deactivating it solved the problem.
In short, if you're having a hissing noise through your headphones, check to see if an equalizer is activated.

Upvote 0
I had never noticed that setting. Sadly mine was already off, so that's not the cause on my phone. I've just learned to live with it, since I mainly listen to music only in the car (where it's not as noticeable) or while running (when I'm not paying that much attention). I'll play with it though, maybe my situation will be the reverse!

Upvote 0
I had never noticed that setting. Sadly mine was already off, so that's not the cause on my phone. I've just learned to live with it, since I mainly listen to music only in the car (where it's not as noticeable) or while running (when I'm not paying that much attention). I'll play with it though, maybe my situation will be the reverse!

My only solution still has been to use PowerAmp, make sure the media volume was up to the highest level, and use the equalizer on Poweramp to adjust the main volume output even higher. That made the whine from the adaptor go away enough to where I didn't hear it at all.

I tried de-activating the equalizer on the phone, as Andurr did, but that didn't change anything.

Upvote 0
I wonder why like car companies phone companies don't have recalls. I have contract with sprint for 2 years, no warranty after 90 days, I am on my own for 21 months while motorola had my money for phone and sprint don't care as long as they are protected with my contract. May be GOVERNMENT, cell phone company and phone manufacturer are in together for this deal. Just check how many MOTO PHOTON 4g users have same issue.

Upvote 0
Definitely there is a problem with the Photon Headphone Jack. They are just a common defective part of the photon. Just like the screen on the RAZR HD is defective. But we the public are not heard and denied justice. Just like the first half of the existence of the xbox 360. Do you know how many white hairs were due to the xbox 360. Do you know how many people have bought more that 2 consoles, Ive bought 3. LMAO. Anyways Ya I did have the photon for a year and the headphone jack constantly mistook signals as signals to call people and initiate the voice commands. Completely unacceptable. But as a whole the photon was a magnificent phone.Very satisfied. But as for my buddies in Grand Rapids who lost 4g just because Sprint switched to LTE. That is horse puckey. 100 percent. **** Sprint and the Japanese company that turned them out. They'll lie to you too all day. Put my account on collections 2 days after they said they accepted my payment plan of 50 dollars a month to pay off over 300 dollars. I know. I sound bitter but FML and F the world.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones