1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help answer a few questions about my Boost Mobile EVO Design 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Alancore, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Alancore

Alancore Newbie

I'm losing my Prevail (CTMod 3.75) for an Evo from Boost mobile.
    I've been researching rooting my phone and have led to a few questions..

I plan on following evo-design-all-things-root/606293-htc-evo-design-4g-all-carriers-root-guide

I'd like to go Stock Rooted or Possibly 2Fast's Kingdom Ics xFuZiionZz.

So I'm thinking, unlock, flash CWM. That would give me stock root, right? then if I wanted to go with Kingdom Ics xFuZiionZz I could just CWM install from zip.

It seems pretty straight forward but then I've seen talk about SUU zip and this has created confusion for me.
    Is the SUU.zip needed?

Also, what is the latest OTA version?

Thanks for any advice!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chiikko561

chiikko561 Well-Known Member

The supersu.zip is needed for stock root other then that follow guide to use custom Rom after installing cwm it does not automatically make your Rom rooted

3. Alancore

Alancore Newbie

You can't install SuperUser from the market after install?

How about 2Fast's stock Rom??

Stockish Roms - Downloads - 2FastRoms

4. Elektra2525

Elektra2525 Newbie

If you flash a rooted ROM then no need to flash a binary. SuperUser Apps from the market ONLY manage your application rights, but its not the binary itself. To Root stock you need to install the binary.

5. Alancore

Alancore Newbie

What's the lastest binary? Do I install from zip like a rom?

Also, it's not for sprint? I know boost is sprint based but it seemed to me that they had different software versions.

6. chiikko561

chiikko561 Well-Known Member

If you install 2fast Rom you don't have to worry about any of this its rooted if you just install cwm and no custom Rom then download supersu.zip and install with cwm after correct wipes

7. Alancore

Alancore Newbie

So the zip in chapter 2 of the all carrier guide is really just the supersu?

8. Travisholt92

Travisholt92 Android Enthusiast

why would you get the evo design over the galaxy S II

9. Alancore

Alancore Newbie

$150+ bucks and that fact that I'm only leaving the prevail because it finally died.

I don't use my phone for much.. Music, Podcasts, some web browsing and social networking and probably one very important feature tether.

10. 2fast4u88

2fast4u88 Android Enthusiast

As said if you flash my rom or any roms I was part of you should have root. If one of the others they should be rooted as well.

11. Travisholt92

its only 200$ now? hmm. a price that is finally worth what you're getting. it was slightly over priced when i bought mine.

12. Alancore

Alancore Newbie

Unlocked and successfully installed Kingdom Ics xFuZiionZz

Unlocked per instructions
    Installed CWM
    Installed Kingdom Ics xFuZiionZz

Perfect!

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, $200 from both Boost and Amazon both with free shipping.

Totally worth it in my opinion. Leaps and bounds over the Prevail and exactly what I was looking for.

13. Travisholt92

I agree it is more than worth the 200 you pay for it. It's not a bad phone by any means. just lacks the development community that it deserves.

chiikko561 likes this.
  14. SirSasquatch

SirSasquatch Lurker

I bought my HTC EVO Design 4G just before Christmas through the Boost site, using a promo code, for $150 (Radio Shack also had the phone but wanted $299 for it). I was debating myself between this phone and the SII and felt this was the better deal.

I have a couple of questions about ROMs as well. I keep seeing around that the voicemail function won't work after installing a custom ROM. I also saw, I think it was in the root guide, about installing the voicemail.apk either afterwards or directly into the ROM before flashing said ROM. Voicemail is important to me because I use this phone for work and casual use as well. How would I go about doing this. I picked up a copy of Wondershare's Android Manager and have exported my voicemail.apk and wasn't sure if that would be a viable solution in this case. For information sake, I have unlocked the phone and also have CWM installed (did a nandroid backup) but have not flashed the ROM or Kernel yet. Also, I was wondering if I wanted to keep the stock ROM, if flashing the kernel is still a viable option as well as how to get SU on the stock ROM?

Sorry for the "war and peace" post.

15. SirSasquatch

SirSasquatch Lurker

I went back and reread the relevant section of the root guide. It said that the voicemail.apk could be added to the ROM zip. After flashing would it need any configuring or would it just recognize the phone and pretty much setup itself? Also, I'm pretty sure, but if I somehow screw something up, I can always go back and restore off of my nandroid backup right? I just want to make sure before I jump headfirst into this. Sorry for the n00bish questions.

16. Alancore

Alancore Newbie

I installed the app after I installed the rom, works no problem. It's my understanding voicemail apps are left out of roms to they could be used more easily on any carrier.

I'd highly suggest going with Kingdom Ics xFuZiionZz-4.3.2 and installing voicemail apk after. It's really a solid ROM.

If you need the voicemail app let me know and I'll post a link.

and yep you can restore from your backup, or just download the stock recovery here.

SirSasquatch likes this.
  17. SirSasquatch

SirSasquatch Lurker

Thanks for the reply and advice. I have the apk for the voicemail app as well (exported it off my phone onto my pc) and if nobody had gotten back to me I probably would have tested to see if it worked. I'd gladly upload the apk also if anyone else needed it. I'll look into 2fast's work (actually been watching it and the boards for a while before I bought my phone). Thanks again.

18. Alancore

Alancore Newbie

It's a pretty stock rom, just with a few nice tweaks. Only thing to note with it is use Barnacle to tether.

HTC EVO Design Forum

The HTC EVO Design release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews