• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help convince me to purchase a driod.. or other?

Bloo

Lurker
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for reading. :)

I'm looking to get a new phone, love the Droid X... but I think it might be a bit pricey and too much for what I want.

First, I have page plus, so will only have 100 MB of data a month. I will do some web surfing, but anything that uses a lot of data (like video), would be used on wi-fi. I believe I could keep the phone from hogging data when I use the internet? Do have facebook, gmail.. I believe the phone could auto update, but hopefully an app (or setting?) keeps it from doing that unless using wi-fi?

Other uses:
-8 MP Camera. I have an old 5 MP Camera, so I imagine it will be an upgrade.
-Phone Calls, will be traveling around the country, so will be in rural areas too. I see it has great reception.
-Compass! And GPS! (limited use I guess, because of data)
-Data tethering in wi-fi spots (my laptop sometimes has issues connecting).
-Text to talk! First time using that, very fun and useful.
-Playing music! Not so sure I'll have videos on it (but could, and then play it on a TV).
-Text documents, schedules, etc that will be needed (either printed out or read on phone).
-Fun Apps that use the sensors, metal detector, ESF fields, etc.

There could be more.. but honestly, I think I'd be using it mostly for talking, texting, some data tethering, music, and as a camera. The other fun stuff, maybe a few times a month or a bit more. Being on the road and traveling, I'd like to have one device to carry.

Is this too much phone for my use? I have heard the battery can drain fast.. but I found this 3500 mAh battery, so should make it last longer? I know some Apps to kill tasks and such would be needed too.

Finally, I don't really like the interface that much... I know a custom ROM could change this for me. I have never rooted before (I found the easy no PC one) and never tried to put on a custom ROM. I imagine it isn't too complex, right?

I did like the Eris too, but no flash and camera isn't as good. The Incredible looks nice too, but I heard the reception sucks on it. So.. go Droid or would there be a better phone for my purposes?

Sorry for all the questions, but any replies will be wonderful. Just trying to justify spending $450 (dealer price) on the phone. Could get it used, but with the PP dealer I can return or exchange the phone if it has issues the 1st 30 days.

Edit: Or would the Eris just be the better option and keep a camera with me?

First, off the X is a perfect phone for all you want to do with it, problem is having 100mb of data and using it efficiently especially for all you want to do with it. Just make sure you are connected to wifi, the good thing is that you can disable 3G data through an app on the market which will help with any accidental wifi disconnects so it doesn't jump over to 3G.

As far as the battery, GPS and games can kill it quickly but even then, using it heavily all day long, I still managed to make it through just about the whole day on the battery. Light usage I believe I can make it 24+ hours easily. Also if you plan on getting a case for it I wouldn't recommend the 3500 mAh battery, and on top of that usually manufactures overrate the battery, so in reality you are probably gonna get about 1800mAh, if you want an extended battery, I would look for the motorola BH6X (1880mAh battery) and it even fits with the stock battery cover is extremely long lasting.

There are plenty of ROMs and support for the X so that would never be a problem if you do not like the stock blur rom.

Hope that helped somewhat, I am at work so I can't type a book but did as much as I can now :D

Upvote 0
Don't assume the camera will be a step up. The Droid X camera is good but it is not what you might expect from "8mp". The pictures are "washed out" and slightly blurry.
The video recorder however is awesome!

+1

It's definitely a step up from my old 3.2 MP on my Intercept :p

And yeh the video on it is absolutely amazing! Just wish it didn't take up so much space!!!

Upvote 0
Even idle your phone is going to use several hundred mb's of data a month way above your 100. There is a way to turn off data with a widget when youre not using it...using GPS for long trips would kill your 100mb a month too. Most folks here use about 800mb-2gb per month. The 8mp is an improvement on my droid 1's 5mp and much better in lower light if your talking about cell phone 5mp.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies!

I agree on the video recorder, I was playing with the X and it was picking up sounds when I was recording with it that weren't very loud, nor in front of the phone.

I guess my main concern is, would the thing start hogging data with other Apps when I turn on 3G to use the GPS? Or are there Apps to prevent that too?

And are the chances of bricking a phone, pretty small when installing custom roms?

Edit: Thanks for the further replies.. little slow in my reply. :D So.. using GPS may be too troublesome data wise? I'm thinking pretty much a few geocaching a month at most. I do realize with my plan, using it as a GPS regularly wouldn't work.

Upvote 0
yes you can use task killer to kill some of the apps in the background when you turn on your gps...but honestly...an 80 gps is going to be cheaper and less stress if youre sticking with a cheapo data plan.

Rooting the phone can be done with a single app (have to download it from the web as it was taken off the market) and custom roms (as long as you use rom manager and find one made for your device) are very reliable ...but ignorance can lead to bricking of phones...but...those can usually be undone too...no worries there really as you have this forum as a guide.

batteries are cheap...$5 on amazon...screw the expensive 60 dollar extended batteries...just stock a couple.

OK...if youre spending 450 on a retail phone...why not just get a new plan through another provider that will give you a phone free or cheap with unlimited data!?

Upvote 0
OK...if youre spending 450 on a retail phone...why not just get a new plan through another provider that will give you a phone free or cheap with unlimited data!?
Just found one on CL's for 350.. and that is a good question. I've just never found any plans I actually like and don't want to be stuck with a contract.

I know Moto Q's have free data on PP using QNC. If there was a hack for the Droid X, that'd work for me! Bit slow of a connection. Or looking to see if I could add a data plan while using PP for the talk/text.

Upvote 0
My advice would just use excel and figure your choices out with what you want.
Sprint has 70 dollars for unlimited everything with tons of awesome android phones relatively cheap.

Verizon has a 3gb data only plan for 30 a month...I dont even use 3GB so you could party out with that and a tablet or smartphone minus the minutes. You could buy a droid 1 on craigslist for 100 bucks (what I just sold mine for) and you could be rolling on the cheap without a contract (and just use your existing phone)..or you could piggy back on anyone's plan for 9.99 + 30 for unlimited data that has verizon and you could use their minutes.

Upvote 0
I'm so leaning towards just doing it and dealing with the data consequences later.

Would anyone know if I could conceivable block all programs from using data, besides one I wish? Like if I turn on 3G to use the GPS, could I keep everything else from using data?

I'm imagine there is an App for that. Will try looking myself.

Edit: The T-Mobile option, the 79.99 plan could work, but don't want the 2 year contract. And not a fan of their network either. Might just get a lesser phone for PP.

Upvote 0
I used to have a virgin mobile account, Still have the phone and selling it, it is a Samsung Vibrant, but they have a plan, $25/month for 250 min, unlimited data and messaging. or $40/mon for 1200 min and unlimited everything else.

They run off the sprint network and thats the cheapest way to go. Phone was decent, not an X but it got the job done. Oh and forgot, no contract... its just month to month.

Upvote 0
Don't quote me on this as I have never used 'Tasker' so I don't rightly know what I'm talking about.... but I've heard a lot of good things about that app. I think there is a way to set it up so that your phone will only update/push mail when you're hooked into a wifi channel. Like I said I really don't know this but maybe someone here who uses Tasker could chime in?

Just a suggestion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones