• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! i reduced my battery to 0%! is it damaged? :(

Big Boar

Apr 23, 2016
i forgot to charged my phone and left it to "Auto-play" itself to eat and when i came back its dead. is it damaged? i read that its technically zero percent when it died as there is some power when you press the power button for battery indicator so its not damaged then? please help :(

If it is completely discharge you may cause damage. Some (most?) decent phones will put the battery into a safe state to prevent / mitigate the damage from severe discharging. You should plug it in, though it may not act like it is charging. It may take several hours to a couple days for it to safely charge a few percentage points after which it should charge normally.

Upvote 0
This article has more details on the topic of a battery going into its sleep mode which sounds close to what you've described:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/low_voltage_cut_off
You're profile indicates you have a Cherry mobile flare S4 plus phone, is that still current? Worse case situation if the battery cannot be restored is to just replace it. Apparently that model does have a user-replaceable battery so at least if necessary you don't have to completely disassemble your phone (some models make it really problematic with lots of glues/adhesives and soldered-in batteries).
https://www.pinoytechnoguide.com/smartphones/cherry-mobile-flare-s4

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Those tips are of course interesting and pertinent (although I have to agree with Unforgiven that it's a mix of current and out-of-date factoids) but I also wish there would be mention of balance - once you lock yourself into following those recommendations of periodic power cycling, always maintaining a 20% to 80% charge, etc. than you're getting close to the point to where all your devices (most of us have multiple, battery-powered devices) are ruling over you. They're supposed to add to your quality of life, not control it. If you want to dedicate your waking hours to maximizing the battery longevity as a priority that's certainly up to you, but personally when it comes to something like my phone if it gets charged to 100% most instances because I'm not hovering over it all the time to remove it earlier at 80%, than so be it.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
That article mixes most myths in with some valid advice. Other than not fully discharging the battery, your charging habits will likely have little impact on the phone's battery.

My OG Moto Droid (circa 2009) is still in use as my daily alarm clock today and the original battery still holds a charge. The only thing I never do is let the battery go to zero.

Thanks, I'm waiting impatiently on the article that you published on the correct way of battery charging practices so I don't get myths with valid information confused.:thinking:

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'm waiting impatiently on the article that you published on the correct way of battery charging practices so I don't get myths with valid information confused.:thinking:

No article needed, but as @svim better articulated to me, don't sweat it. If it gets low, charge it. If it gets to 100%, no big deal, unplug it when you wake up. If it isn't quite to 100% and you need to go out, unplug it. If it swells, dispose of the battery. Don't be a slave to the battery.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones