• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP!! installing cm4.2 - too many different guides

austriker

Jun 1, 2010
hi there,

so i am slightly new at this and have searched for hours and hours trying to find a consistent formula for rooting and installing my g1 to cyanogen mod 4.2 (or latest stable one, thus not cm 5). I seriously stayed up until 1am last night and now i am at work (started at 8) still searching.. I have used google, youtube, and several other cm sites. Basically the problem is there is not one guide and I am not sure if because I followed the CM wiki guide if i can switch because I am having problems with that one. So one question: does anyone know which is the latest and verifiably the best CM 4.latest guide to installing?

I am pretty sure i have rooted the phone because I successfully downgraded to RC29, the old school android OS. However when I try completing this guide: [cant put a URL in but the webpage title is: "G1 CM4.2 installation" and I already completed this wikiguide title: "Full Update Guide - G1/Dream Firmware to CyanogenMod" but it continues into the next page to install cm)
I get freaking stuck. I put all three files on my SD and when I try to push "Alt-A" there is not an option there for it, its not an option on my recovery mode menu. I tried putting the files back there after reformatting several times but still no 'alt-a' so I am stuck on step 5 because there is no option for step 5 on my recovery mode on the above web guide..

Does this mean I did not install something? should I try and install the ota radio, cm update, drc83 zip files separately (like load one on the sd card and install it, then reformat the sd card and then repeat with the other two files?) ? If so what order should I do that in??

Sorry I suck and have not been able to find these answers, there are just a plethora of guides and I am not confident in my modding to start deviating away from the wiki guide in case I brick my beautiful g1..

thanks so much, this has been a huge headache for me.. i literally spent 4 hours yesterday trying to get to this step.. aww...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones