1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help me find a GPS app... if there is one.

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mrchaos101, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mrchaos101

mrchaos101 Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    I have 4 Droid Devices. Droid X, Droid X2, Samsung Illusion and LG Enlighten.
    I own all these devices. They are mine. I pay the $480 a month bill.

I am looking for an app that will keep the GPS on. Meaning that If I shut my GPS off, it will auto start back up.

I thought I could keep this closed up by using android controls and blocking out access to settings BUT there is a damn widget at the top slide down tool bar that allows this to be toggled on and off.

Is there an app that can start and keep a service alive?

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Just leave it on, and it will be used on demand. Not exactly sure why this is needed? If you never toggle it off, it will never turn off anyway.

3. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Sounds to me like (and if I'm wrong, no offense intended op), "mine" means phones they paid for but family members use. So they're trying to make it so the people actually using the phones can't easily circumvent gps tracking.

4. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    If snapcase is right...

I use a free app called, "Hey kids- If you turn off the friggin GPS, I'm taking away your friggin cell phones."

However, as a failsafe, I've also installed the free apps, Where's My Droid and LookOut. Either of those apps enable you to remotely turn on GPS and track the phones. LookOut is kinda nice in that unsuspecting people think it's just an anti-virus program, but you can get on web browser and track the phone on a map. Keep in mind that GPS uses a lot of battery so if you were going to track somebody for a long time, you'd wear down their battery in a hurry.