• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help: New Unlocked G1

I just unlocked my G1 and I am using AT&T. I dont have data plan
so I am stuck on the activation screen. I was wondering if i could
put a sprint sim card in the G1 that has a data plan on it just to get
past the activation screen.
Or the Sprint sim card wont work in the G1 at all?

I am also in your situation, but my phone is working. :)

Go to Settings/ Wireless controls/Mobile Networks/Access Point Names and make sure you have good settings. These work for me:

name: AT&T
apn:wap.cingular
proxy <not set>
port <not set>
username:wap@cingulargprs.com
password:CINGULAR1 (must be in caps)
server <not set>
mmsc:http://mmsc.cingular.com
mms proxy:66.209.11.32
mms port:80
mcc:310
mnc:410
apn type <not set>

Then call ATT (611) and have Customer Service register your phone with its IMEI number.

Upvote 0
If you don't want to get charged for data, find a friend that has t-mobile with data service, and use their sim card. Sprint is cdma and does not use sim cards. If you were thinking Nextel, they also are incompatible because they use iDEN and not GSM. If you're out of luck in the t-mobile sim dept, edit the APN settings and pay data charges to set it up.

BTW, Thank you for the APN settings Gladnhart! If At&t offers cheaper service in the future, I'm glad I'll have options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones