• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help . Recovery not working Motorola Photon 45 LTE

Mark_StAug

Lurker
Dec 6, 2012
Can anyone out there assist please?

I am trying to root Motorola 4G LTE (Sprint). I have unlocked phone and followed all instructions for Clockwork recovery.

But

When I start the Photon and enter recovery mode using the Power Button and Volume Up+Down

I see the android robot lying on its back, chest open with triangle and ! mark

I push volume up+down to see the menu

but the menu does not contain the option to

Instal Zip from SD Card

How do I find ‘Instal Zip from SD Card’

What am I doing wrong - any ideas how to move past this please?

Can anyone out there assist please?

I am trying to root Motorola 4G LTE (Sprint). I have unlocked phone and followed all instructions for Clockwork recovery.

But

When I start the Photon and enter recovery mode using the Power Button and Volume Up+Down

I see the android robot lying on its back, chest open with triangle and ! mark

I push volume up+down to see the menu

but the menu does not contain the option to

Instal Zip from SD Card

How do I find

Upvote 0
For whatever reason the current ways of installing CWM or TWRP don't work fully, and end up being wiped after the device fully boots. What you have to do is flash the recovery, reboot the device straight into the new recovery. As long as you flash it and get into the recovery before the red Motorola symbol disappears you should be able to flash root from there. The next step would be then to use rom manager or good manager to flash cwm from inside the os.

Alternately I found that the MotoFail2Go works perfectly well for getting root with just one click (or less than my previously described method).

Let me know if this helps :)

CMNDR

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
CWM recovery for this device is very buggy and will let you down. Use TWRP as it simply works better for this device. The reason the recovery does not stick is that there is a script that rewrites the partition from /cache on reboot. You have to eliminate the script for the recovery to stick. I believe it's called reflash_recovery.sh or something similar. If you root using the method mentioned earlier and install root explorer you can delete the script, then flash the recovery. I suggest getting set up with the Android SDK so you can use FASTBOOT to do the flashing. Also, I noticed you have not responded to your thread. In order to get an alert you have to subscribe to your own thread.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones