• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help with radio!!

Desiel

Jun 6, 2011
I rooted fairly recently, I having having some network issues. I am not sure if it is a radio problem. specifically, my Verizon VM will not download my voice messages and my 3g & 4g are no longer as strong as they are before root. Is there a better radio or is there something I can do?

Below is the screenshot of my TB info:

screenshot-1310666728980.png

Try flashing this radio [RADIO] Official OTA MR2 Radio 1.39.00.0627r [7/8/2011] - xda-developers

It is the newest radio which came in the most recent OTA. It looks like you have an older one

Add:
You will flash the radio in hboot, power off and hold volume down when you power back on, you rename the zip to PG05IMG.zip first and put on the root of your SD. Then boot in hboot and it will ask if you want to update, press volume up, let the phone do it's thing then press power to reboot.

Reactions: Desiel
Upvote 0
I'm not sure either. I think it just may be how the rom is displaying your signal. CM7 is an AOSP rom for some reasons AOSP roms display lower bars than sense roms. I don't know why but I'm rocking some Liquid Thunderbread currently and I my signal looks like it is less than when I was running Gingeritis 3D but in reality the quality of the signal is about the same for me.

You could try to flashing a sense rom to see if that helps. I don't know why the signal displayed would affect you being able to get your VM but I have seen more messed up things with Android phones that don't make sense as well.

Upvote 0
I have done that a couple of times. I don't wanna call Verizon cos I may get the "we can troubleshoot your phone because you are running a non-verizon ROM'.

Is there any setting in Mobile networks that can be adjusted for better performance?
well,im not familiar with verizon VM,so i have no input on why that may or may not be working. maybe you need to use different gapps? or download google voice and/or voice search,or something else from the market?

on your signal strength... what are you using to determine that your signal is less than before? the signal bars on your phone? the db/asu numbers in /settins/about phone/status? download/upload speeds with a speed test app? if so what app? tested on stock rom and cm7?

the best way i think for you to troubleshoot is to load up the mr2 OTA rom and check the above things,check the DB,do some speed tests,etc. if the numbers are still not what you think you should be,i guess its possible you have a hardware issue,stay on that stock rom and call verizon and let them "troubleshoot".

if you find verizon VM to be working,and faster download speeds,higher db,etc.,then you can chalk it up to simply cm7 and your phone dont get along for some reason :( you could try some of the stripped froyo/gb sense based roms(assuming you dont like sense since you went with cm7) and try all your tests again. repeat until you find a rom you are happy with :)

and again,make sure youre not placing too much importance on the number of bars beside the battery icon. perfect example: right now i only have 1 signal bar on cm7. but when i check signal strenth in settings,i have 83db wihch is typical of what i have here in my house. on a sense rom i may have 3 or 4 bars.

Having almost same problem. my 4g hardly connects, and I'm getting only 1x 80 % of the time, after flashing different roms. I tried the link above with no luck. My wife's TB is stock and has 4G every where we go.. Any ideas?:thinking:

is your cover missing,damaged or broken? what rom are you on? we really need more info before we can try and help.

Reactions: Desiel
Upvote 0
Signal strenght shows "-95dbm 2 asu", I am not sure what that means. I do see what you mean by the bars not been consistent accross ROMs. I will try to compare it against my Droid Incredible. As for Verizon VM, I have uninstall it. I am looking for another solution to the voicemail issue, I am open to suggestions.

Upvote 0
I'm experiencing the same problems with my phone. I was easily seeing 2-3 Mbps via downloads when I was using an older ROM. Now after updating my phone I'm lucky to see 1 Mbps via the same type of downloads. The only reason I "upgraded" radios is because my old setup lost data connection on Friday. Is it possible that the updated data made it easier for Verizon to throttle my data? I'm a consistently heavy data user (20-30 GB per month). I guess I'll try restoring to my older ROM version to see if my data gets better. I'll report back shortly.....if all goes as planned....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones