• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with syncing PC files

peterc10

Android Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2010
UK
I want to sync files (MS Office and pdf mainly) between my tf300 and my PC and am looking for an app that will do that. In doing so I do not want to use a 3rd party server based system such as Google Direct or Dropbox. Instead I just want an app that will sync directly between the two. I want the sync to be two way - in other words whatever changes I make on one will result in a change to the other.

Ideally I would like this done by wifi at set intervals whenever they are both connected to my home network. Alternatively I could put up with it being done every time I connect the two by USB. The way I envisage it working is that I will specify the folders from my PC that I want synced and that folder tree and the files in it will be replicated on the tf300.

I already use windows Media Player to sync my music and Google to sync my contacts and diary, so it does need to do those.

Does anybody know of an app that will do this for me please? All of the ones I see seem to work via a third party server, which I do not need, and which I would have to pay for, given the amount of data involved. I do not mind paying a small amount for an app if it will do the job quickly and securely.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

For those of you who, like me, want to Sync files with your PC I think I have answered my own question and found the ideal app. It's called SyncMe and allows syncing via wifi of cable.

It automatically searches for all of the PCs on your wifi and lets you choose which files and folders to sync. It found my PC quickly and then let me choose which folders and files I did and did not want to sync. You can choose to automate syncing so it is done at set intervals or on particular days or particular conditions, or you can sync manually. You can set up different sync jobs with different settings. You can sync either way or both ways.

It is a free app but if you want to use all of its features you will need to donate the huge sum of

Reactions: SebF
Upvote 0
It sounds like a good alternative to those not wanting to use Drive/Dropbox.

What were your reasons behind not wanting that out of interest?

Basically because I had too much data to take advantage of their free storage, so it would have cost. With 32GB on the tf300, another 32GB on my micro SDcard and a possible further 64GB on an SD card in the keyboard I have plenty of room for it on board. And also an innate mistrust of others "looking after" my data. And finally a worry that it would not be there when I needed it. Some of the places may not have wifi or 3G access. I know in theory I can sync via Dropbox (not sure about Drive) but ........

Do you use Drive or Dropbox? How easy do you find it? I must say I like Google calendar for Syncing my Calendar, but that is free. Does Drive actually sync your files to your pad, or do you have to access via the web? It wasn't very clear on Google's info.

Upvote 0
I use drive now, moved from Dropbox a while back. Both are good, I have 2 desktop PC's, two laptops and two phones that I keep synced with them. Google Docs has now merged with and become Google Drive.

The app on my SGS2 allows me to edit both MSOffice spreadsheets I've created on my PC along with the google docs spreadsheets. On a mobile device it won't automatically 'download' all of your files, just file listings, so when you want to access each file you download it at that point.

It's just easier for me having google contain everything I need, contacts, calendar, documents etc. That was the main reason I moved from dropbox.

Reactions: peterc10
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones