• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with Trying to Upgrade early

olsonizme

Lurker
Jun 27, 2011
I need some Help with trying to upgrade our current contract with ATT without paying an arm and a leg.

My daughter (17) would like the next Galaxy3 which is on sale at BESTBUY this week for $49.(Att price is $199) I would love to get this deal, but here is the catch.. our upgrade eligibility isn't until 1/5/13 . (I know that it is not too far off- but I wanted this for a Christmas present)

I have a few questions.

1. Is it even possible to upgrade (non iphone) for this deal? I understand there may be a early termination fee-- how do I find out what it is? I am afraid if I call ATT and ask-- there will be questions that I wont know how to answer. ( like a school kid trying to do somethign they shouldn't)
I was thinking the early termination fee might be worth it to get the phone deal.

2. We currently have 2 smartphones, 2g data plan each phone, shared 550 minutes (never use) and unlimited text for about $120/month. Will I be able to keep the same deal. (my understanding is there is no longer a 2g data plan as an option).

3. Would it be better to add a line?? then do some kind of switching in Jan?? we only need to phones though- so not sure this would work.

4. I am able to wait for the upgrade in Jan- so by doing this deal for her now will that screw me in Jan?

5. Can I call Att and get the same deal as BB is offering ($49 for the phone)

Just trying to find the best deal
Any help would be MOST appreciated!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones