• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help With Wildfire Wallpaper And Lock Screen Resolution

Ritwik7

Lurker
Jul 18, 2010
Hello everyone!

I bought myself the HTC Wildfire about a week back. I have a few questions regarding the wallpaper and the lock screen resolution.

The Wildfire screen resolution is 240x320. What should the ideal resolution be for my lock screen and wallpaper images?

When I set a 240x320 image as wallpaper or lock screen it appears very pixelated. However, when using resolutions of 640x480 and above, the wallpaper looks great but the lock screen is still pixelated. Also, when selecting the lock screen image I can't select the whole thing. Parts always get cropped.

Somehow the HTC backgrounds that are present on the phone don't look as pixelated although they are of a lower resolution.

Any help regarding the best wallpaper and lock screen resolution for the Wildfire is greatly appreciated.

I'm only guessing that its the DPI as to why its pixellated as i've not tried to add any wallpapers to mine, but seeing how the res is so small, and that when resizing images down to a low res they come out pixalated due in no small part to the DPI not being increased, i suggested it might be that.

DPI = Dots Per Inch and default settings for DPI is usually 72.

I personally would resize any images using irfanview as it gives the option when resizing to set the DPI.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot. I will try that.

There's one funny thing though. The default HTC Lock Screen Images stored in the /system/customize/resource directory are all 240x320 and can be applied to the lock screen without any cropping. However, when I put in my own pictures at 240x320 I am asked to crop before I can set them as the lock screen wallpaper. I cannot select the whole image. A little bit of it always gets cropped. So I think the lock screen wallpaper is slightly different from 240x320. Am I right?

Upvote 0
I use 480x320 for wallpaper. This is because the image scrolls horizontally on the home screen. (drag arrows when selecting to use full image)

The lock screen looks like it uses 240x320, although I just use the same 480x320 and drag it to full height centered.

I suppose the perfect way would be to have 480x320 for wallpaper and the same image in 240x320 for lock screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones