• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leroysettle

Jun 19, 2010
Ok first I know how to use the search function...and I have read many many threads on here (obviously now enough). So please if you can help me out!!

Here is my situation. I rooted my phone following these steps on the rooting for "dummies" thread ( http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html ).... everything was fine....

until I downloaded the Kings Unleashed 5 ( http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-kingsrom-unleashed-r5-4-28-11-out-world.html ). Now per the rooting for dummies I used ROM Manager that you have to pay for- I downloaded the Kings ROM to my computer and transferred it to my phone. The instructions said to put in the "root" folder but after reading different threads I thought maybe that was just on the overall phone folder (hopefully that makes sense- I didnt transfer the Kings ROM to a specific folder I just moved to my phone). I had some problems with drivers so I downloaded some additional programs ( it was saying the the SD card wasn't attached so I used a program to update the drivers).

Eventually the Kings Unleashed 5 took and I checked off all the boxes on ROM manager when I installed it. I saw on the Kings Unleashed ROM forum that it takes a while to boot the first time....well it was well over 2 hours. So I tried to reboot and of course nothing would happen so I removed the battery. Tried to reboot same thing...about 1 hour. So I removed the battery and did a Power + volume down button.... and did recovery. Same thing about 1 hour and nothing just the same screen where it says 4g.

Obviously Im a noob and I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help me? Again I've read a lot of posts and tried to use the search function.

ok so when you go to hboot (power+vol down) there should be an option to go to bootloader. then a new menu comes up and there should be an option for recovery. when you select recovery are you getting stuck there as well?
No the options are:

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT HSB

although I remember before hitting one of those that takes me to "bootloader" but I'm afraid to touch anything at this point.

Thanks again for helping you don't know how much it means to me!

Upvote 0
So go to "wipe data/factory reset".

As far as back up I followed the first 3 steps "Rooting and backup" in http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html

and then when I inputed the ROM with ROM Manager application I clicked all three boxes that popped up- two of them where- which I thought was "backup exisiting ROM" and "wipe data and cache" per the guide but one of the options was already checked so I left that checked the checked the ones I stated above.

I didn't do a "nandroid" because it wasn't in the guide of flashing ROMs---> ROM Manager

That is probably where things went wrong...

so should I do a "wipe data/factory reset"?

Upvote 0
Ok I did a wipe Cache and then the wipe data factory reset...and I just rebooted system so hopefully I can get back to having a phone.

Will I have to go through the steps to root the phone again since I'm going back to factory reset? And where did I possibly go wrong in my steps before? Again I followed the guide- the only thing that confused me was downloading the ROM to the "root" on the SM card- since I had no "root" file I figured that was just on the card (no folder).

Also since I've been typing this still on a white screen...how long should that take? Probably at least 2-3 min so far?

Upvote 0
no doing a factory reset will not unroot you. it just deletes and data that was stored on your phone.

as far as what went wrong? well rom manager is not the best way to flash roms. most here on this forum will tell you (including me) that doing everything manually is the best way. rom manager can be buggy and has been known to cause issues. i also think that rom manager and clockwork mod 3+ (your recovery) does not do a very good job at wiping. you need to have a clean install in order to flash a rom properly. usually wiping data, cache, and dalvik cache will give the new rom a clean environment to install.

when it says the root of the sd card that just means to put it on the sd card and not in any folder.

the first boot should take a bit as it has to build dalvik cache. it could take anywhere from a few minutes to as much as 10 min.

Upvote 0
no doing a factory reset will not unroot you. it just deletes and data that was stored on your phone.

as far as what went wrong? well rom manager is not the best way to flash roms. most here on this forum will tell you (including me) that doing everything manually is the best way. rom manager can be buggy and has been known to cause issues. i also think that rom manager and clockwork mod 3+ (your recovery) does not do a very good job at wiping. you need to have a clean install in order to flash a rom properly. usually wiping data, cache, and dalvik cache will give the new rom a clean environment to install.

when it says the root of the sd card that just means to put it on the sd card and not in any folder.

the first boot should take a bit as it has to build dalvik cache. it could take anywhere from a few minutes to as much as 10 min.

Well its been over 15 min now almost 20 min- should I just let it stay on the white screen?

Thanks for the advice once I get things back to "normal" I'll definitely do everything manually. I read the guide like 5 times before I did it.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
well, i would pull the battery out and go back to recovery then wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache (you have not mentioned that you did this. it should be under advanced in the first set of menu options in clockwork mod). once you wipe then go ahead re-flash the rom. just select "flash .zip from sd card" option in clockwork mod. find and select the .zip and reboot.

Upvote 0
nice:D
glad it worked. just some recommendations:
you should have clockwork mod 3.0.0.5. it uses a script called edify while most roms use amend. so not all roms will be flashable with the current clockwork mod. so my suggestion is to either downgrade your recovery to clockwork mod 2.6 or switch recovery to amon ra 2.3(my recommendation). amom ra is another recovery that can use either edify or amend. it is easy to do.

here are the steps:
1. download the recovery of your choice (amon ra 2.3) from my sig ref#1.

2. rename the file to PC36IMG exactly. if you are using windows just delete the ra 2.3 in the file name. do not add a ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.

3. transfer the file to the root (no folder) of your sd card

4. power off then press and hold power+vol down (hboot)

5.hboot should automatically scan for the PC36IMG file

6. press vol up to select yes to update

7. now you have a new recovery!!!!:)

if you have anymore questions, you no where to ask it.

Reactions: Leroysettle
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones