• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samwam

Lurker
Apr 21, 2012
HELP!!!!!

Hello, I have the motorola razr and lately I've been looking into using it as a "pocket computer"... What I mean by that is: connecting a keyboard to it and possibly a mouse, and HDMI-ing it up to a TV, monitor, etc so that i can perform basic tasks like word documents etc with ease pretty much wherever I go.

I've watched quite a few videos online on how to do this and many are successful. Being the inspired little guy I am, I started finding parts around the house that I could use to set up my own system. I got all of the parts together, set it up, and alas, it didn't work(I kind of expected this)

Included is a picture of my setup and I'm hoping someone could please help me out with this. I would love to have this layout work so I could have a minicomputer in my pocket.

Help.jpg

I have two theories as to why this isn't working:

1. The phone doesn't have the correct drivers installed to understand what the keyboard/mouse is.

2. The USB cables I'm using don't work the same as the aftermarket USB's that are used by the guys in the videos (I assumed the only purpose of those cables what to ensure that you wouldn't have to buy something like the female to female USB adapter like i have. However, they might be wired differently and allow for different functions)

If you guys know anything that could help me out I would love to hear it. Below I'll link a couple of the videos i watched:

Samsung Galaxy S2 USB OTG demo - YouTube

How to make a USB Y cable for host mode on HP TouchPad or Android - YouTube

I appreciate anyone that takes the time to read this post, without you, I'd never be able to get these kinds of things fixed

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones