• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Helpful Hint - Awake Time Problems

TF1984

Android Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2009
Southeast US
So this is Ground Shattering news for anyone having sleep issues.

If your Hero is reporting 100% awake status, you'll need to find out what the culprit is. Until today I had only known to remove and install apps one by one. A developer just brought my attention to the app Spare Parts..

***Download Spare Parts from market, open it,>Battery History>drop down menu default is CPU Usage, select and change to partial wake Usage.

This will show which apps are keeping phone from sleeping. Very Very Very helpful!!

Going to post this to bump this thread, as I'm curious if anyone else has seen this. I checked mine again a couple weeks after this thread and UID 10073 is still coming up under the PARTIAL WAKE USAGE tab. Also, the Android System seems to be high, or higher than I remembered. Consequently, battery life has started dropping.

Any ideas?

I do use Advanced Task Manager, but only for ending certain individual tasks that aren't closed easily, like the stock browser and Act1 Video player.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, very possible. I've started checking my PATIAL WAKE USAGE statistics more frequently and I've noticed that the ANDROID SYSTEM seems to be high. Looks like it's much higher than it used to be, not sure what could be causing this. Everything else is very low.

Since last unplugged (6 hours), my my Android system partial wakelock total time is 1 hour 7 minutes. Does that seem right? High? Low?

Upvote 0
Hmmm, very possible. I've started checking my PATIAL WAKE USAGE statistics more frequently and I've noticed that the ANDROID SYSTEM seems to be high. Looks like it's much higher than it used to be, not sure what could be causing this. Everything else is very low.

Since last unplugged (6 hours), my my Android system partial wakelock total time is 1 hour 7 minutes. Does that seem right? High? Low?

I think in your situation the real question becomes, how much have you used the phone? close to an hour????

Upvote 0
Interesting thing happened. I've had that UID 10073 showing every time I reboot my phone or any time I've checked SPARE PARTS under PARTIAL WAKE USEAGE. Well last night I rooted my phone and installed the Fresh 1.1 ROM and now that task is no longer showing in SPARE PARTS since LAST UNPLUGGED!

Not sure what it was, but it's gone now. Very odd.

Upvote 0
Downloaded Open Home. Like it for the most part. Find it interesting that they use the bottom of the screen for battery remaining percentage. Don't know if many developers cruise these threads but maybe some options for awake/sleep time displays could be integrated there. Haven't seen a widget that will display the awake/sleep times yet and drilling into determine the percentage can be a pain since it's only minimally important. I have been sitting between 15 and 30 percent when I've checked it.

Upvote 0
Interesting thing happened. I've had that UID 10073 showing every time I reboot my phone or any time I've checked SPARE PARTS under PARTIAL WAKE USEAGE. Well last night I rooted my phone and installed the Fresh 1.1 ROM and now that task is no longer showing in SPARE PARTS since LAST UNPLUGGED!

Not sure what it was, but it's gone now. Very odd.

I wanted to give an update to others who may be having some confusion on the listing of some of the readouts from SPARE PARTS. For some reason, I kept having a listing for something called UID 10073 and UID 10001 (the 2nd not so much of a problem). I'd seen it popping up as the 2nd highest value keeping my phone awake and wasn't sure what it was. Yesterday, after not having much problems with it, my phone battery started dying quickly and I couldn't tell what was doing it. I checked SPARE PARTS and it showed that damned UID 10073 kept my phone from sleeping for over 30 minutes and I didn't know what it was. I went through an exhaustive exercise of trying to figure out what it was by uninstalling apps. I finally decided to try and find a proccess manager that might be able to give me info.

I eventually found a free app called ACTIVITY EXPRESS task manager which shows detailed information about each running app and process, and allows you to forceclose or switch to. I went through each one and it showed each app's UID (Unique Identification) number. Turns out UID 10073 corresponds to Handcent (at least on my phone). I then opened up Handcent and noticed it hand hung up on trying to send a message and errored out. I forceclosed it and then reopened it up. So far today, my battery has gone back to normal.

Just wanted to share that bit of info, in hopes no one else drives themselves crazy like I was doing.

Hope that helps someone.

Reactions: Jyro275
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones