• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero or Evo?

I bought a Hero two weeks ago at Radio Shack (they were on sale for $49.99, upgrade or new line). Last week I reserved an Evo at the same RS. I'm like you in that my area won't get 4g for a long time so that isn't a selling point for me. I plan on returning the Hero and getting the Evo because of my eyesight... larger screen = no reading glasses. Yes, my decision to get the Evo is based solely on my poor reading vision and the Evo's large screen. :thinking: I am 100% certain that I will appreciate, love even, the other improvements vs the Hero! But I could live happily with the Hero.

Assuming you don't have any special needs (or wants as is my case), I would go with the Hero. The Hero is a good phone, especially for a first time smartphone owner. It is currently $79.99 at RS (upgrade or new line) but that may go back down when the Evo hits. Just 1 year ago, who would have imagined that a phone with the Hero's specs could be bought new for $50-$80? Whatever you decide, you'll be getting a good/great phone and in a year you can upgrade again to the new greatest phone.

Upvote 0
I bought a Hero two weeks ago at Radio Shack (they were on sale for $49.99, upgrade or new line). Last week I reserved an Evo at the same RS. I'm like you in that my area won't get 4g for a long time so that isn't a selling point for me. I plan on returning the Hero and getting the Evo because of my eyesight... larger screen = no reading glasses. Yes, my decision to get the Evo is based solely on my poor reading vision and the Evo's large screen. :thinking: I am 100% certain that I will appreciate, love even, the other improvements vs the Hero! But I could live happily with the Hero.

Assuming you don't have any special needs (or wants as is my case), I would go with the Hero. The Hero is a good phone, especially for a first time smartphone owner. It is currently $79.99 at RS (upgrade or new line) but that may go back down when the Evo hits. Just 1 year ago, who would have imagined that a phone with the Hero's specs could be bought new for $50-$80? Whatever you decide, you'll be getting a good/great phone and in a year you can upgrade again to the new greatest phone.

$29.99 @ Best bUy

Upvote 0
FWIW, I just got my Hero today. A refugee from Virgin dumping all their old Helio customers.

I was sure I would think the EVO was too big. Played with a HTC HD2 last week, and really thought I would prefer the Hero's form factor. Now having used the Hero for most of the day, I think the phone is too small LOL. Just doesn't fit my not so large hands well. And for internet, Evo screen is just too nice to pass up.

I had thought the faster processor would be a big deal. But using the Hero today, I am not sure it is *that* big of a deal. The Hero really is a great phone.

But now reading about Android 2.2, and doubting that Hero will ever get it formally, I just think the Evo is in my future. My birthday is 2 days before I have to make up my mind, and already told my beautiful new wife that if I get the EVO, that is my birthday present LOL

Upvote 0
If your in a 4g area id say go with EVO cause the android OS is as simple as any out there but not as dumb as iphone (hehe sorry had to through that in there). Anyway, you should have no prob adjusting to the "smartphone" arena with the EVO.
However, if you are outside of the 4g markets then id say try the less expensive Hero by then b/c I would not waist the extra money per month personally for data speeds you will not be able to take advantage of. Plus if you feel like going with the EVO before 30 days you can trade up since they do have the same software running them ie: 2.1, just different features.

Upvote 0
I too had been waiting for the EVO but I posted somewhere here that I may not go and get the EVO ever since I rooted and installed a custom ROM on my HTC Hero. I have been very happy these past few weeks with my Hero. I know that eventually I will get the EVO but there have been reports about the camera not being as great as they say and I also saw where the battery life won't be as good either. I can understand the battery life as the phone has a ton of stuff on it. For me, I would have a car charger and backup batteries. I usually always buy 2 extra batteries no matter what phone I own. As for you, I would probably go with the Hero and when you become very familiar with the phone, graduate to whatever is the newest phone. My main advice...stick with an android phone. It is clearly the future of phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones