• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi Everyone. Root Noob Here

Digijustin

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Hey Everyone,

So I got my Droid X from Verizon in December and debated about rooting and waiting until last night to do it. Now that I have, I don't know really where to start. I keep hearing about all these ROMS, overclocking, and everything else.

Maybe it would be better if I just say what I want to get out of this. I love my Droid X but at times I really wish it would move faster. Things take a while to open or god forbid, I can't answer a call when I want as the scroll won't recognize.

Where should I start with this? Any help is much appreciated.

Digijustin,

There's an amazing group of folks that keep things hopping over on the Droid X root forums that xmr405o kindly linked for you.

I too have a rooted Droid X, but I haven't installed any custom ROMs or themes or even overclocked--just rooted. I do app development, so I didn't want to stray too far from stock for support reasons.

I must say, I thought / think the X is a pretty fast beast right out of the box. But its likely you have a ton more apps that I do (I keep things pretty sparse on my phone, lol).

But I installed the rooted GingerBread files last night and it has made the phone even faster (noticeably faster), so that in and of itself, might help you out.

Be aware that there's not yet a one-click (i.e., Z4root) type of rooter for GingerBread yet, so if you accept the impending GB OTA (over the air update), then you will probably lose root.

Anyway, there's some crazy smart folks over in the Droid X root forums that will be willing and able to answer your questions in more detail.

Cheers and welcome for AndroidForums!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones