• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Higher resolution with gingerbread?

Currently there isn't any Android phone with higher resolution than 800x480 (or 854x480). A software update wont raise that resolution since it is hardware specific. But i wouldn't worry about it. 800x480 is plenty enough and if we start raising resolutions without bumping specs then performance would suffer. Maybe next year.

Upvote 0
Ah, I wasn't sure if it was a software limitation...

Although now with Gingerbread out in October and the rumoured Gingerbread phones coming out around December, there doesn't seem much point in going for a device that will be pretty much minimum spec for Android 3.0...

Upvote 0
Ah, I wasn't sure if it was a software limitation...

Although now with Gingerbread out in October and the rumoured Gingerbread phones coming out around December, there doesn't seem much point in going for a device that will be pretty much minimum spec for Android 3.0...

There will ALWAYS be phones just around the corner that make the phone your getting look dated. ALWAYS. You will never get a phone if you take that attitude.

Upvote 0
But this upgrade seems so major... but I appreciate what you're saying :)

I know what you mean I'm in the same boat it's such a tough decision, but when those new 3.0 phones come out you will be thinking: "well they are pretty cool, but I'm going to look stupid when the new dual core phones come out". Then they come out and you think "yeah dual core phones are amazing but engadget just leaked this new phone..."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones