• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Holy Grail

baseballphan

Jul 22, 2010
I have been on a 7-yr quest for the Holy Grail of phones. This was back when the "smart" phones on the market used either primitive forms of windows mobile or blackberry's OS (the blackberries had just switched from black and white to color, I think). I have become more and more excited about the Android OS because I think that Google is agile and innovative enough to continually create and improve user experience unlike any of the other players- including Apple. So I guess this is my long way of saying "Long-time Phan. First time poster."

I have a question about app storage on Android phones. This may not be the best way to get it answered. If not, please give me some advice.
I am a Blackberry Storm 1 owner/hater and one of the things I hate most about it is the lack of storage space for apps (I am a medical student and clinical apps take up space). I had assumed that manufacturers of second-gen, non-iPhones would not dare limit the app storage capacity of their phones and so this was one of the things I was looking forward to most about my new Android phone (I just received my long awaited Indredible, but I will probably return it in favor of the Fascinate). Then I read the following line in a review of the Fascinate on infosync that scared the bajeezus out of me: As far as memory is concerned, the Samsung Fascinate incorporates a 2GB NAND Flash internal memory as well as a microSDHC memory slot with support for up to 32GB cards. A 16GB microSD card will be included in the sales package, delivering approximately 18GB storage out-of-box. It's not known whether the Samsung Fascinate will get an Android 2.2 update, but if it does, that 18GB storage capacity can then also be used for applications and games storage.
THis makes me very sad. Please brighten up a poor med-student's and HUGE phan's day.

Firstly, welcome... secondly, as I understand it, with android 2.2 you can store apps on your SD, so get a class 6 SD and you're set. 2.2 comes in a week or two I believe. Hang onto your Dinc. It's a great phone. I got it way back in April and returned it for the Droid X. The issue for me was the larger screen. I need the screen because at the age of 52 I need to reading glasses and/or a larger screen to read.

Trust me. If you're going android, hang in there with the Incredible until 4g come to VZW in the 4th quarter of 10 or the first quarter of 11. :)

Welcome!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones