• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

home-made arrangement - portable cooled wireless charger (video)

electricpete

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2012
Here's the video

I bought three things:
1 - Kmashi 15,000 milliAmp-hour power pack ($20, delivered)
2 - USB clock fan with flexible goose neck ($8.50, delivered)
3 - Insignia wirless charging pad from Best Buy $40 - (Yes, I know there are cheaper options... this was an impulse buy)​
Items 2 and 3 powered from item 1

Superglued a bent metal strip onto bottom of charging pad to hold the phone at the right height for charging, so I don't have to fuss with placement.

Added a spacer superglued to the bent metal strip so there is a space for air to flow between the power pack and the wireless charger.

Fan gooseneck is bent in a U shape back towards the charger, cooling both the phone and the wireless charging pad.

Results: net charge rate approx 17%/hr (*) with screeen on (daydream mode) and battery temperature remains 95F with 75F room temperature.
  • * I have a 3200 milli-Amp hour battery. So 1% per hour is 32 milliamps and 17% per hour is 17*32 = 544 milliamps (this is NET charge rate... the actual charge rate is higher but net is reduced by the amount consumed by the phone while it is charging)

The whole thing can be picked up and carried around and used while charging/cooling.

Yes, I realize not everyone cares so much about battery temperature. The battery on my phone (Nexus 6) is not the easiest to replace so I'm extra cautious. I can turn the fan off if it's distracting or I can remove it alltogether and I still get the thermal benefit of having some free space below the bottom of the charger to facilitate natural air flow.

Yes, good question. I have a pretty good feeling there's an improvement based on what I saw before, but I'll probably have to do a little more testing if I want to rigorously show whether/how much the fan gives an improvement. I noticed later that my graph shows the battery temperature was still climbing slowly at the end of that charge period, so my claim 95F is not necessarily accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones