• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Home-screen orientation on HTC Magic

Hello all,

I'm the proud owner of the HTC Magic on Vodafone UK. I'm loving the Android.

I have to say that after 5 days of owning this device I'm only left scratching my head on one point.... the auto-orientation of the home screen.

I've seen videos of rooted G1's running the hacked 1.5 firmware and the recently posted video of the Samsung i7500 with the 1.5 firmware all CLEARLY show that when the device is on home screen, the desktop (read home screen) auto-rotates depending on the orientation of the device. The Samsung video shows it working in ALL FOUR orientations!

This doesn't happen on my Magic :(. Flip the orientation in an application? Works fine. Flip it back in an application? Works fine. Do it on the home screen? I'm craning my neck like a love sick puppy.

Am I missing something? Is this a feature that is disabled in the offical 1.5 Cupcake release? If that's the case - fine with me. I'll stop scratching my head and move on.

Look forward to a response from someone wiser than I.

Iain

Oh, but it is.

Menu > Settings > Sound & Display > Orientation

That my friend was never the issue - my OP says as much.

My issue is that the home-screen - the desktop, the place with all my widgets and shortcuts, call it what you will - doesn't. I've seen videos of rooted and hacked G1's with cupcake do it. I've seen the video of the Samsung i7500 do it in all four orientations. My little Magic doesn't.

Nice effort - 10/10 for shear confidence and responsiveness but 0/10 for actually reading the OP :D

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I'm the proud owner of the HTC Magic on Vodafone UK. I'm loving the Android.

I have to say that after 5 days of owning this device I'm only left scratching my head on one point.... the auto-orientation of the home screen.

I've seen videos of rooted G1's running the hacked 1.5 firmware and the recently posted video of the Samsung i7500 with the 1.5 firmware all CLEARLY show that when the device is on home screen, the desktop (read home screen) auto-rotates depending on the orientation of the device. The Samsung video shows it working in ALL FOUR orientations!

This doesn't happen on my Magic :(. Flip the orientation in an application? Works fine. Flip it back in an application? Works fine. Do it on the home screen? I'm craning my neck like a love sick puppy.

Am I missing something? Is this a feature that is disabled in the offical 1.5 Cupcake release? If that's the case - fine with me. I'll stop scratching my head and move on.

Look forward to a response from someone wiser than I.

Iain

Please Post the link where you say have seen all Four orientations auto-rotating.... If this is for a i7500 that may be possible ... but the Dream & Magic are not the same as the i7500...

I don't have a Magic, but have 2 G1s, One has the 1.5 ADP software ... which is for all intents and purposes the same as the Magic. Many of us have G1s loaded with 1.5 and you do not get 4-point-rotation... Would be kool if we did ... The Magic not having a slide out keyboard .. would make sense that it could do a 4-point turn ... (Just have not seen it)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones