• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HomeBrew Android?

Hello, All.

I am, by nature, a curious fellow. I like to tear things apart and and build things. My basement always smells like solder.

At any rate, I want to build my own Android device. Would this be possible, and, if so, where could I go for information?

Many Google searches have landed me nowhere, so I came here for a bit of human interaction. Please help.

Well you would need to learn how to make drivers so your android platform can run correctly on your phones hardware (accessing the display/camera/keyboard/etc).

try android.com

Also, try buying a phone, and studying its driver source. Buy a phone that its manufacturer has released it source for the proprietary drivers. :)

Then open that phone up and study its structure. Try reassembling it back together and then try making a phone similar to where everything is placed.

I would first learn how to make a basic phone if this is your first time because you will waste alot of time (and good parts) trying to do the BIG things and skipping the SMALL things

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones