• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Homescreen lag

BestInGalaxy

Oct 21, 2011
So lately I've been noticing that sliding through homescreens hasn't been as smooth as when I first got it (almost 2 weeks ago). There's a slight delay when I make the transition, and another one before it completes the transition. Getting to the point where it happens almost everytime. But here's the thing, when I go to view my apps, there's no lag when scrolling through the pages, only once or twice after maybe scrolling through 20 times continuously (looping, I don't actually have that many apps). Anyone have a solution on this? This is getting pretty depressing, I don't even use it as much as I used to, mainly cause I don't wanna see the lag.

I wish someone would have helped you because I have the same problem. Was fine for about a week then got home screen lag and lag in the app drawer when set to list. also had issues with mega battery drain and the phone would get hot in my pocket. After a factory reset it was fine for another week then the lag came back. I didnt install skype because I read it might be the cause of the battery drain and the drain stopped but the lag was back in a week. I installed watchdog to make sure nothing is eating my cpu. reset again and the home screen lags right after I reset it, pure stock. What a let down. I feel like you and that I dont use the phone as much because it's laggy with a 1.2 gig cpu! I tried other roms with no help and the unnamed rom is awesome but still lagged. I underclocked the cpu and it got worse, when I over clock it gets better but dont total go away. how can a 1.2 gig dual core lag?????

Upvote 0
Yeah, no one helped me lol. I just switched to Launcher Pro and use only 1 homescreen now with my apps on the 3 docks. Lag is still there sometimes when opening an app, but oh well.

What launcher do you use? I was experimenting different launchers and noticed that Launcher Pro, ADW, and GO Launcher was less laggy when scrolling. Try switching launchers if you're still using Touchwiz.

Upvote 0
I didnt know if I could return it to AT&T because I'm 1 week past my 30 days. I thought I would have to go through Samsung. I tried all the launchers and it still laggs. Some apps like the market lag bad but astro FM is smooth :\ The home screen lag isnt bad, it's just shows up from time to time and bums me out because I know it shouldnt lag at all! But I know when I take it to AT&T it will be smooth as butter and they wont help me.

Upvote 0
bestingalaxy - call AT&T. I called and they gave me samsungs number and told me to call to make sure their was nothing else that could be done to fix it. Samsung said if it still lags after a factory reset the phone is shot. I'm waiting for my call back from AT&T to get another phone shipped! Dont live with the lag, call AT&T.

Thanks to PfcBgd, JayC, and Baldilocks, you guys were right.

Edit: AT&T called back .... Their sending me another phone!

Upvote 0
I bought my phone six weeks ago but dialed 611 on my phone and AT&T went through the Samsung warranty. But now that I got my new phone it's depressing to see that it's no different than the old one. The home screen is lagging and I forgot to mention that both phones lag when an application closes. It seems that a lot of people are having this problem and I was hoping that ICS would fix it due to the fact that it uses GPU acceleration but then I heard that touchwiz was supposed to be hardware accelerated so ICS won't help if that's true. I'm wondering what the other people in this post are doing to not have the lag? It happens on both phones right after a factory reset. I should have waited for a phone with ICS because this phone is depressing me. Why does it seem like there's a ton of people not having this lag but quite a few that are. What's the common denominator for the people with this lag. The only thing common between both phones is my sim card could that possibly do anything with lag? I won't go back to iphone but I'm not sure about android.

Upvote 0
When did you buy your phone? I don't think they'll take mines cause it's been over a month since I bought it.

To *ALL*:

FYI - the 30 day policy to the best of my knowledge is for BUYERS remorse so if you changed your mind about Android and wanted to get an HTC or Apple iphone you have the 30 days to return for refund.

Notwithstanding the standard warranty (1 year?) should still be valid with AT&T for a *DEFECTIVE* phone to be replace/repair with SAME device...

Just a reminder is all... :)

Upvote 0
I bought my phone six weeks ago but dialed 611 on my phone and AT&T went through the Samsung warranty. But now that I got my new phone it's depressing to see that it's no different than the old one. The home screen is lagging and I forgot to mention that both phones lag when an application closes. It seems that a lot of people are having this problem and I was hoping that ICS would fix it due to the fact that it uses GPU acceleration but then I heard that touchwiz was supposed to be hardware accelerated so ICS won't help if that's true. I'm wondering what the other people in this post are doing to not have the lag? It happens on both phones right after a factory reset. I should have waited for a phone with ICS because this phone is depressing me. Why does it seem like there's a ton of people not having this lag but quite a few that are. What's the common denominator for the people with this lag. The only thing common between both phones is my sim card could that possibly do anything with lag? I won't go back to iphone but I'm not sure about android.

Hey Sam, are you telling me that out of the box STOCK with NO apps installed you're seeing a LAG?!??? That's not possible with the SGH-I777, are you sure you didn't get the Skyrocket SGH-I727??? LOL

Seriously, I've been using my phone for over a month without issues, and been playing with my colleagues and work, AT&T store and other friends who purchased the I777 without issue???!

Check out the I777 at the AT&T corporate store and see if there is LAG on the DEMO phone, get your phone replaced again, IN STORE and show the SALES person how out of the box the phone LAGS vs. the one on display THAT should TOTALLY clear up any and ALL misconceptions about the screen lag.

I believe so far this is the FIRST and ONLY post about screen lag for the I777, I've yet to see others but from personal experience and reading multiple forums, this is definately not a WIDE spread issue.

Good luck!

BTW - I helped others *resolve* their hardware issues:

One I777 owner's issue that he swore was a problem with GPS hardware and that it was no better than his previous HTC and was willing to switch back after swapping out the phone, turns out it was his aluminum case which had had installed on BOTH of the swapped out Galaxy S II

Another user SWORE his I777 was buggy and it kept freezing on him but it turned out that AT&T store rep only swapped out the BOX but gave him back his first phone. I quick scan of the IMEI # on box and phone confirmed the mistake (2 weeks later)

No hardware issues just FREAKISHLY bad luck and circumstances... *SIGH* I've been working IT support for over 20+ years and I have seen quite a few issues that have cropped up which on the surfaces looks like one thing but turns out to be something totally different! :) Please do me a favor and test out the STORE demo phone first and then when it gets swapped out, benchmark both the DEMO phone and the new one in hand and if you're still seeing the *LAG* in both, it's time for an ihpone! :)

Seriously good luck!!!

Upvote 0
The lag is real as my 3 day old phone has it, and it won't go away it is very annoying! Went to the AT&T store and 2 new units out of the box had the same issue
Between that and the WiFi issue (not holding the signal)I am hoping a software patch will come out to fix these soon as I am happy with the phone besides these 2 annoying issues ;)

My phone build date is 10/29/11

Upvote 0
The lag is real as my 3 day old phone has it, and it won't go away it is very annoying! Went to the AT&T store and 2 new units out of the box had the same issue
Between that and the WiFi issue (not holding the signal)I am hoping a software patch will come out to fix these soon as I am happy with the phone besides these 2 annoying issues ;)

My phone build date is 10/29/11

Hi RM,

Sorry to hear this, but if you can perceive the *LAG* in three different phones then it would logically appear that your eyes & you are much much more sensative than any of the existing SGII users here on this forum and others and unfortunately, I don't know if software will be able to alleviate your issue... As such I would recommend you return/refund your phone for something that is less sensative to your eyes/perception? Perhaps iphone 4s or HTC Vivid?

Upvote 0
Hi RM,

Sorry to hear this, but if you can perceive the *LAG* in three different phones then it would logically appear that your eyes & you are much much more sensative than any of the existing SGII users here on this forum and others and unfortunately, I don't know if software will be able to alleviate your issue... As such I would recommend you return/refund your phone for something that is less sensative to your eyes/perception? Perhaps iphone 4s or HTC Vivid?

So many experts, so little time, this issue is not perceived as others have this issue as well as the 2 AT&T CS reps in the store agreeing it was an issue, nor am I looking for another phone!

Upvote 0
Trust me, the lag is real. I would catch it on camera if I had one. Maybe the other 2 posters who also suffer from lag can do that.

And I went to a Bestbuy store today to compare, but all they had were dummy models.

To *ALL*:

FYI - the 30 day policy to the best of my knowledge is for BUYERS remorse so if you changed your mind about Android and wanted to get an HTC or Apple iphone you have the 30 days to return for refund.

Notwithstanding the standard warranty (1 year?) should still be valid with AT&T for a *DEFECTIVE* phone to be replace/repair with SAME device...

Just a reminder is all... :)

Is this AT&T's warranty or Samsung's warranty? I might check it out. The lag is really annoying.

Upvote 0
Trust me, the lag is real. I would catch it on camera if I had one. Maybe the other 2 posters who also suffer from lag can do that.

And I went to a Bestbuy store today to compare, but all they had were dummy models.

Is this AT&T's warranty or Samsung's warranty? I might check it out. The lag is really annoying.

I think it's samsung warranty but you can go through at&t. I dialed 611 and the process was easy.
okay this is weird. the more I use the new phone the better it gets. Now 99% of the time it's as smooth as butter???????????????????????? oh well I'm just going to enjoy it for now if the lag comes back I'll get a new phone :)
I haven't sent the old phone back. When I get time I'll video the lag. Even the guy at the att store noticed it.

Upvote 0
I think it's samsung warranty but you can go through at&t. I dialed 611 and the process was easy.
okay this is weird. the more I use the new phone the better it gets. Now 99% of the time it's as smooth as butter???????????????????????? oh well I'm just going to enjoy it for now if the lag comes back I'll get a new phone :)
I haven't sent the old phone back. When I get time I'll video the lag. Even the guy at the att store noticed it.
Sweet. It would be great if you included both phones, old and new and did a comparison on the lag.

Upvote 0
Hi RM,

I was contemplating about switching my vivid with s ii because of the lag. I guess it's just present with every android phone. Most people are lucky and don't notice it but I certainly do. Compared to windows phones it's not nearly as smooth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones