• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Horrible GPS

Hotwir3

Feb 13, 2011
I bought my DX in mid Feb, so it's fairly new. My GPS takes a few minutes to find my location, and once it does, it's not very accurate and has a fairly significant blue circle around it. I have both "Use GPS satellites" and "Enable Assisted GPS" turned on. I'm going to take it back to the store in the next few days unless someone here has a brilliant idea.

I should expect better, right?

I used to have the same problem with my original Droid...sometimes it would take (like you said) 3 minutes or so to find my location and even if it did, it might be a quarter mile off track. Google Maps isn't perfect so I wouldn't worry too much. It is EXTREMELY pinpoint accurate on my Droid X though!

If it keeps happening then yeah, take it in! What's the worst they can say, it's your fault? You are the customer afterall!

Good luck man.

Upvote 0
I bought my DX in mid Feb, so it's fairly new. My GPS takes a few minutes to find my location, and once it does, it's not very accurate and has a fairly significant blue circle around it. I have both "Use GPS satellites" and "Enable Assisted GPS" turned on. I'm going to take it back to the store in the next few days unless someone here has a brilliant idea.

I should expect better, right?

Try unchecking "Enable Assisted GPS" and see if that make a difference. I don't have mine checked and GPS works exceptionally well on my Droid X.

Upvote 0
Try unchecking "Enable Assisted GPS" and see if that make a difference. I don't have mine checked and GPS works exceptionally well on my Droid X.

It must be your phone is my guess. I unchecked assisted GPS and my results were not as good. Showed my location about 40 feet away. With assisted GPS checked, it was right on with the marker on top of my roof :)

I am with the others, take it back to VZW and see what a new phone does. May be something to do with your location but i find that hard to believe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones