• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I stop unwanted refreshing?

Like I said, you won't know what to blame until you start from bone stock- meaning none of 'your' apps.

I'm pretty sure that you said that this is a new type of problem.

And since this was also happening on your last device, I think you have it narrowed down to two things: one (or even a combo) of your apps, or Motorola.

I hope it's not Motorola.

And just so you know, I am a fan of Motorola. Every cell phone I had right up to my first free smartphone was Motorola.

But, Motorola was not offered to me as a free phone, and I was one of those that was dragged kicking and screaming into smartphone world.

If AT&T had not offered me a free phone, I likely would never have gotten a smartphone at all!

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Like I said, you won't know what to blame until you start from bone stock- meaning none of 'your' apps.
But I pretty much did that. I installed my favorite file manager, MiXplorer, and a small handful of other apps. All were necessary, such as ADT's apps, Joy Noelle's Whistle app, the Ring app...and I think that was it. After MiX did the refresh thing, then I installed another FM, to see if it would, too; it did.

To summarize: upon receipt of my new phone, I removed pre-installed bullshit I didn't want, installed one FM and a few necessary apps...and the problem happened within hours. Since then, I've added all my real apps, since they clearly weren't the source of the problem.
I'm pretty sure that you said that this is a new type of problem.
Shoot, I don't remember saying that, but I wouldn't put money on it! :D

It is new, in the sense that prior to spending all my time in bed, I didn't use FMs like I do now, heavily relying on them for file maintenance on my network. So I can't say if this used to happen, back when my Android FMs got very little use. Maybe it did--but I never noticed, for one reason or another. For example, I used to use them basically for quick, local tasks, like deleting screenshots. They could've easily reset, but I wouldn't have noticed.

That's all changed now that I rarely ever sit at any of my computers. Accessing their drives from my phone is an important, big deal now--and it's REALLY ANNOYING to be in the middle of a huge file maintenance task, 8 or 10 subdirectories deep in an external hard drive and then...poof! Back to that tab's startup location...

Upvote 0
"But I pretty much did that. I installed my favorite file manager, MiXplorer, and a small handful of other apps."

is not the same as

"I booted up my brand new phone, and it has the same issue as my old one."

See what I am saying?

I know you deem these apps as necessary.
To you, they are.
To Motorola, they are not.

This is why it is standard procedure for any cellular service to begin with a factory reset.

They don't care, and don't have the time (often not even the knowlege) to diagnose any issue, so they take no chances on any user apps.

Me, I have never factory reset a device yet (knock on wood- ouch! I hope that won't leave a mark- probably going to wear a hat for a few days).

As soon as I saw it doing thesame thing, I would have started working backward and ditching apps to see if it stopped.

This is so much easier to do when a new device is still fresh, and a virgin, lol.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
"I booted up my brand new phone, and it has the same issue as my old one.
Yeah...but. :)

I had to install a file manager--since that's where the problem is a problem--and I picked my favorite one. It would've happened regardless of which FM I chose.

Those apps I said are necessary are exactly that--so if they're causing my issue, I'm screwed, as I can't delete them. Testing without them accomplishes little; sure, it would be nice to know which one is the culprit [if that's the case], but it becomes a moot point when they must remain installed. I guess it would stop me from pulling out any more hair, though...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones