• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how can you tell if wifi N is working?

I've been wanting the answer to this question too.

All I have right now is that if I get into settings and click on the WiFi network I'm connected to, I now get 65Mbps, rather than 54Mbps, would be a 802.11g speed, IIRC. 11n could be upto 300 Mbps. I do also noted slight faster download and uploads speeds using Speed Test.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure on the phone side but if you have router access permission you can go see the list of connected wifi devies and it will tell you what its connected through

I tried this on my NETGEAR dual band router. I could see the phone's IP and MAC address, but it doesn't seem to want to tell me what rate it is connected at.

However, only wireless n devices will report a connection speed greater than 54 Mbps. They generally are up to 300 Mbps. One can verify this using your laptop.

Upvote 0
I do also noted slight faster download and uploads speeds using Speed Test.

So have I, but not sure this is related to N as much as it is related to Froyo and its speed advantage.

My service is 35mbit up and down and I have an N router. Prior to the update, I would get 13 down and about 2 up. Now I get 13 down and 5-6 up. However with my iPod Touch which is G only, I always get about 12-13 up and 12-13 down.

I guess I could test by deactivating the N part of my router and see what my speedtest.net app results are.

Upvote 0
Before Froyo, I never got above 15.xx Mbps up and never got above 2.xx Mbps down. Now, I routinely get 16.xx+ Mbps down and 3.xx+ Mbps up. My wireless service claims 25 Mbps down, but I don't remember the upload speed. Those numbers are with Speed Test. My connection speed now is "65 Mbps".

edit: I had down and up switched before the edit.

Upvote 0
Before Froyo, I never got above 15.xx Mbps up and never got above 2.xx Mbps down. Now, I routinely get 16.xx+ Mbps up and 3.xx+ Mbps down. My wireless service claims 25 Mbps down, but I don't remember the upload speed. Those numbers are with Speed Test. My connection speed now is "65 Mbps".

What app are you using to test?

Oops just noticed you are using speedtest

Upvote 0
WifiAnalyzer is also a great tool to check out Wifi networks. It will tell you which network type it is, signal strength, channel, etc. Nice to have when trying to set the right channel for your own wifi or trying to find the best publicly available wifi signal to use. :)

It's a nice app, but it doens't say the connection speed or protocol. At least I could not find it. Still, I'm happy to have this. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones