• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How come my desire sometimes sends messages more than once?

StuartTheFish

Android Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2010
As per the title of this thread, I've noticed that sometimes my desire sends text messages more than once, even though it only shows one in my message conversation list thing. Seems to happen whenever there's not been any reception, and when trying again might be sending it more than once?

I think I've noticed this too - a couple of times a message has appeared "unable to send" with a little red X (using handcent), and eventually when it goes the recipient says they got it twice. I know at least once I clicked the unsent message and chose to try again, I assumed this would just force it to retry, not add two messages to the pending queue.

Maybe it's something I did or maybe it's a bug, I'm not sure but I have unlimited texts with O2 so I didn't bother investigating too much!

Upvote 0
So if it does it with handcent too then it must be an issue with how android attempts to resend texts. I wonder if it's a 2.1 issue, as my hero never seemed to do it.

I would half expect it to do it if you have handcent as both the standard software and handcent could both try at the same time (I tried handcent briefly and I kept recieving messages twice, two notifications, two message tones, one in each app!), but I'm only using the standard messaging app so I'm not sure what I can do to fix it...

Upvote 0
Handcent is only a gui for the default sms app. You only receive 1 sms that both show (turn off default notifications if you use handcent).

I haven't heard of it sending 2 sms, and you mentioned it's when you have no signal. Do something is in a twist, not knowing myself how sms works its hard to say if its a phone or network fault.

What network are u on btw, doesn't happen to me on orange, even when low signal

Upvote 0
It'snot just you, mine does this too. I'm using the standard messaging app. It seems to be when the phone has no signal and retries sending. Very embarrassing as I always take the mickey out of my parents for sending messages twice. I tell them they're too old to be sending text messages! Whoops.

Upvote 0
I've been having this problem since I got the phone earlier this week. I hadn't installed any apps or changed any settings so I don't think it was something I had done. Anyway, this morning I have done a factory reset, manually added contacts and since installes Go SMS.... but still having the same problem. Some (not all) of my contacts are getting my messages twice, at exactly the same time.

I've since had a thought... as some people have mentioned this happens to them on t-mobile and on orange (i'm on orange) when the signal is low. I wonder if it's to do with them sharing the signal? Maybe it's being sent from both networks? Is that a possibility or am I just grasping at straws here?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones