• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how do apps like Dual Screen Browser and Floating Apps work?

taz0x

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
Hello there,

I am an iPhone Jailbreak user, who has always been curious about the capabilities of an Android phone to see if it matches upto anything the Jailbroken iPhones can do in my own perspective. I've posted on other communities before to ask these questions but since I got no real good answer, I decided to buy an old Nexus 4 phone (running v5.1.1 i believe) to see what the Android can do myself.

Now, I've noticed that with these "Dual Screen Browsers", specifically the "Dual Screen Browser" and the "DualScreen" app has this capability of when you have a Flash Video playing, and if you go back to the Home screen, it continues to play the video in the background. My understanding was for Android, because it uses an OOM memory management system, playing videos as if it remained in the foreground should not be possible, but some how these two apps are able to do this.

I also realized the app "Floating Apps" also achieves a similar effect of playing any Flash videos in the background. although for this it seems like it leaves a tiny icon floating around the phone. which seems totally fine. i would assume this behavior can be made available to all apps with an option to disable this feature (including games)

Could anyone shed light to how these three apps works, and what allows them to do this? Can this behavior be mimic'd for things like a Game app?

Or could anyone point to a better forum to ask these questions?

Since I now have an Android phone I can actually try out whatever suggestions may pop up so this is exciting.

Thank you all in advance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones