• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I activate Virgin Mobile on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone?

I was recently given a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. I would like to transfer my Virgin Mobile service from my existing LG phone. After finding the IMEL number of the Samsung phone, I went on Virgin Mobile's activation site

https://activate.virginmobileusa.com/#/your-device

entered my number, but was told "Sorry this device is not compatible with Virgin Mobile Service." What exactly makes a phone compatible? The Samsung phone runs Android so I'm wondering if there's some way I can trick my phone into accepting service.

Their website is kinda weird. The activation page you link has instructions for finding the IMEI on Android devices. But if you go through the "shop" link on the same site their BYOD programme appears to be for iPhones only! But I think it's the second that is correct: they used to offer BYOD on Android, but it looks like they currently don't: you can buy an android phone from them, but I don't think you can bring your own. Not absolutely certain, but that's the impression I have from what I've been able to find.

As for why it might be incompatible (apart from just their only accepting certain iPhone models), exactly what model of phone is it? Not just "S3" or "S4" but the full model number. If it's a GSM model then it's not compatible with 2G/3G, since Virgin in the USA use the Sprint (CDMA) network and both S3 and S4 (I don't know which you have, you mention both) had separate CDMA and GSM models. And for 4G as far as I can tell no S4 was compatible with the 4G bands that Virgin use (I don't believe the S3 had 4G at all). So depending on which model you have it might have limited compatibility or none at all.

As for tricking their system, that's not likely to work. If it was compatible with their 4G then maybe putting a SIM in is all that you'd need for that (though they can check IMEIs and bar unregistered ones if they choose, so no guarantee). But CDMA networks don't use the SIM for 2G/3G, so I think you'd need to register the actual phone ID for that, which means that no other number will work (like most of the world, we don't have CDMA networks where I am, so I may be out of date on how LTE-capable CDMA phones interact with the SIM for the CDMA part, but I don't think you have one of those so don't think that question arises).

So I doubt the phone is compatible, and if it is compatible to some extent I doubt you can trick them into registering it.

You might be able to use it on a different service, of course.

Reactions: kate
Upvote 0
Right now Virgin Mobile only accepts iPhones for BYOD:

https://community.virginmobileusa.c...ing-my-own-device-to-Virgin-Mobile/ta-p/11011

so I think you'd need to register the actual phone ID for that, which means that no other number will work (like most of the world, we don't have CDMA networks where I am, so I may be out of date on how LTE-capable CDMA phones interact with the SIM for the CDMA part
Sprint still uses a whitelist system, so even if a phone is 100% compatible it wont activate if the IMEI isn't in their system.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones