• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do I check to see if my phone is rooted?

eddieb1983

Aug 16, 2010
I was having trackball issues on my Eris AGAIN. I called verizon for the second time to get a second replacement phone for the same issue. They are sending me an Incredible!!!!!!!!!

Now, before I send my Eris in, I just want to be absolutely sure there is nothing on my phone that indicates that it was rooted. Does anyone know what all they check? What can I check on it? Under settings, network, the operator name is unknown. Is that the same for stock phones? Or when I unrooted it, could that have cleared that out?

Just want to be sure.

Eddie

I was having trackball issues on my Eris AGAIN. I called verizon for the second time to get a second replacement phone for the same issue. They are sending me an Incredible!!!!!!!!!

Now, before I send my Eris in, I just want to be absolutely sure there is nothing on my phone that indicates that it was rooted. Does anyone know what all they check? What can I check on it? Under settings, network, the operator name is unknown. Is that the same for stock phones? Or when I unrooted it, could that have cleared that out?

Just want to be sure.

Eddie

Eddie,

Congrats on getting an Incredible...that's a good phone and you should be happy with it. So, if you've attempted to root your phone before, you've probably got at least the su program, the SuperUser app, and a non-stock (custom) recovery installed. Not sure that they (VZW) will actually check all of these things, but if they did, they certainly would know that you've rooted and possibly indicate to you that you've voided your warranty.

Most folks that wish to un-root use the method described in this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/92096-verizons-ruu-official-2-1-droid-eris.html (this will take you back to stock 2.1 and remove any trace of the things I mentioned above).

Cheers and good luck!

Upvote 0
Ok. Thanks SA.

I've already unrooted my phone with the help of EU1 (Shout out to EU1!) in this thread. So as you mentioned I guess I should be good. I tried to boot into the custom recovery after unrooting, and it just showed the phone with a red triangle with a red exclamation point inside. The only what to get away from that screen was to take the batt out and put it back in. Therefore, I assumed the custom recovery was gone. And a search for "su" on my phone produced no results. So I guess I'm good. Thanks.

It's great to have the support of the great people on this forum. I'll be sad to leave it to go to the Incredible forum, but I expect to meet great people there also.

Eddie

Upvote 0
Ok. Thanks SA.

I've already unrooted my phone with the help of EU1 (Shout out to EU1!) in this thread. So as you mentioned I guess I should be good. I tried to boot into the custom recovery after unrooting, and it just showed the phone with a red triangle with a red exclamation point inside. The only what to get away from that screen was to take the batt out and put it back in. Therefore, I assumed the custom recovery was gone. And a search for "su" on my phone produced no results. So I guess I'm good. Thanks.

It's great to have the support of the great people on this forum. I'll be sad to leave it to go to the Incredible forum, but I expect to meet great people there also.

Eddie

Eddie,

It does sound like you are good-to-go...(sorry, I've seen so many threads and I do kind of remember your discussions w/eu1...wasn't totally sure that you had actually unrooted or not..).

Also, you don't have to leave us...my primary phone is my Droid X and my Eris is at home, safe :))), in a drawer :)eek:)... I just find that the Eris forum is my first AF "home"...I just enjoy the folks that hang-out here and helping folks out...

Good luck and cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones