• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I diagnose a phone freeze / crash?

My Pixel 2 is crashing more and more, it seems to happen while I am listening to podcasts while on a bluetooth headphones. The timing in inconsistent, but perhaps it is happening when the screen comes back on. I am update to date with all apps and security patches. (Mar 5th 2018 security update) How can I get the correct logs to diagnose the issue. Its not an app crash, the whole phone freezes and restarts. Thanks in advance!

Edit: it just happened without any podcast playing, but the Bluetooth headphones where still connected.

Last edited:
I'd first recommend rebooting into Safe Mode and running your phone for however long it usually takes for a crash to occur. Safe Mode temporarily disables your installed applications so being able to reproduce a crash in Safe Mode is generally a good indication that you might have a hardware problem. If the phone doesn't crash in Safe Mode, it's likely a problem with one (or more) of your installed apps. You can then try uninstalling suspect apps to see if that has any impact.

There's unfortunately not really a great way to extract logs for diagnosing crashes like this. The best approach is systematic troubleshooting.

Let us know how it goes and we can figure out what to do next.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones