• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I download whatever I want on my G1?

Subicon

Lurker
Jan 15, 2009
I don't know if this is possible or not, but I am getting tired of my browser telling me that I cannot download certain files due to them being an unsupported format. I just want to be able to download a zip file or such. Does anyone know if and how this is possible?

Menu->Settings->Applications->Unknown Sources

I am pretty sure that this setting is only to let you install apps from non app-store sources.

I am also pretty sure that that default browser doesn't allow Downloading of files that the OS doesn't recognize, but I think that the steel browser available in the market does. Opera mini may allow this as well.

Steel integrates into Android nicely and you can set it as your default browser as well.

(EDIT) I just confirmed that Steel was able to DL winzip.exe, a file that Android should not be able to open, so you should be fine with that browser.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones