• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How hard would it be for me to code this simple app without any previous experience?

Frederik92

Lurker
Sep 7, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a graphic design student and for one of my assignments I need to come up with some stuff to use for my portfolio.

I came up with the idea that instead of giving out business cards to potential clients, I could maybe make a really simple app that I would only use on my personal Samsung Galaxy S7.

All the app would do is to just have a static page with my logo on it and a box for the potential client to enter their email address. Then the app would automatically send an email to this address with pretty much a digital business card for myself with basic contact information and different links to my social media and webpage/online portfolio.

So it would function pretty much as newsletters do, where you enter your email in a box and then my digital business card would automatically get sent instead of a newsletter.

I don't have any previous experience coding apps. This semester I am doing a basic class in coding with HTML5 and CSS, but I don't even know if you use this for coding Android apps, I just thought I'd throw it out there just in case. And would I need to root my S7 in order to have the app just on my phone without it having to go through Google for approval or whatever? (Again I have no idea how any of this works)

If it should end up being too hard for me to code myself I would perhaps be open for the possibility of paying anyone that can code it for me as long it doesn't end up being too expensive.

Any answers at all are greatly appreciated, cheers :)

The sticky posts at the top of this forum have a lot of information and links on where to start if you're new to Android app development.

Your app idea is a good project for someone starting to learn as it doesn't sound too complicated.

The HTML5 and CSS won't be that helpful if you plan to write a native app. You'd be better taking a class in Java.

There's absolutely no problem with installing your app directly on your own phone. You don't need to root it, and you don't have to go through Google at all if you don't intend to publish the app.

Upvote 0
The sticky posts at the top of this forum have a lot of information and links on where to start if you're new to Android app development.

Your app idea is a good project for someone starting to learn as it doesn't sound too complicated.

The HTML5 and CSS won't be that helpful if you plan to write a native app. You'd be better taking a class in Java.

There's absolutely no problem with installing your app directly on your own phone. You don't need to root it, and you don't have to go through Google at all if you don't intend to publish the app.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Would it require some sort of server to automatically send the digital business card to the entered email address, or can it all be done within the app? I need to settle on wether or not I should go through with this idea by tonight.

Upvote 0
Difficult to answer really. I would recommend getting a book on Java, and also one for Android development. You could also download the development tools and have a play. As your knowledge increases, and you get the basic concepts, things will start to come into focus better. Have a look at some of the tutorial apps bundled with Android Studio, they are a good place to start learning. But take the time to understand what's written, don't just copy and paste code.

Reactions: Frederik92
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones