• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How is it possible to keep same number in different state?

JonJones84

Oct 9, 2012
I've noticed when syncing my facebook friends with my contacts, most of them have the same phone number from the city they use to live in, but live in different states.

How does the network even work out of the local provider's area?

It's like having a Los Angeles phone number, but live in New York. Wouldn't it clash?

It's not required to change your number even if you move out of state.

Just like when I worked in Florida several years ago, I opened up a contract with AT&T and requested a South Carolina number as that's where I'm from. That way my folks wouldn't have to use long distance just to reach me. Carriers have to ablige requests when it comes to that.

Basically it's no where in contract that if you move out of state that you have to change your number too.

Just as long as that provider has towers where the person is, there will be no conflict.

Sent From My Paranoid Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Reactions: JonJones84
Upvote 0
It's not required to change your number even if you move out of state.

Just like when I worked in Florida several years ago, I opened up a contract with AT&T and requested a South Carolina number as that's where I'm from. That way my folks wouldn't have to use long distance just to reach me. Carriers have to ablige requests when it comes to that.

Basically it's no where in contract that if you move out of state that you have to change your number too.

Just as long as that provider has towers where the person is, there will be no conflict.

Sent From My Paranoid Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Phone numbers with area codes are not attached to physical areas. You can use it anywhere you want// i spend 3 years in Washington state with New York number.

Haha. I just always assumed the number wouldn't work because it's out of state and might be conflicting due to roaming and long distance.

Upvote 0
You might not be aware of this, but phone companies have lots of their own networks, and they interconnect, just like the Internet. So it's a trivial matter to keep a database of what 10-digit phone number is announcing itself where. Because of that, phone companies can use shortest path routing not unlike how the Internet does.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is too obvious to point out, but this applies to mobile phones. Landline phone numbers are still locked to the area, unless the landline number is ported to a cell phone.

I've had a landline number for over ten years and I'm getting ready to shut down my home phone. I don't look forward to telling everyone the new number, so I've been looking for a way to port my home number to Google Voice. It can be done, but you have to jump through a few hoops to make it happen (port to cell, then port to GV). After that my old landline number will start crossing state lines... ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones