• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How is your ice cream sandwich?

My Ice Cream Sandwich is

• Delicious!

Votes: 33 55.9%
  • Good, but I don't see the big deal.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Not that great, wish it were better.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • It made me sick, wish i hadn't eaten it.

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
Lots of bugs. ICS was not ready to be released. Acer really screwed up with this release.

I fortunately managed to solve some issues with a factory reset, but some issues remain:

Seems to be solved:
- Unstable applications (flashing and crashing, including Gmail).
- Unstable folders (flashing, crashing and all icons on the desktop disappearing).

Unsolved:
- Wifi is unstable and does not auto-connect (I have to connect manually when I restart the tablet or when I get home... it was working fine before ICS).
- The GPS does not work (I am not sure if it was working before ICS... as I had not had the time to test, so maybe it is not new).
- System update does not work (indicates that network coverage is insufficient despite the signal being strong and staying beside the wireless router).

Upvote 0
My Iconia is useless! It turns on but as soon as it try to do something, the screen goes black and says "android " ....then it goes back to the home screen....but as soon as i touch it the screen goes black and says "android " again. This SUCKS .....I use this tablet so much for keeping track of jobs and so on.....what options do i have? I may run to Best Buy and buy another one.....that works.

Upvote 0
Got the ICS update on Sunday. I'm impressed with the progress made by the Android folks. The UI is more refined and smoother and there's a noticeable increase in response in the A500. It seems the annoying problem with loss of wifi connection when coming out of sleep mode is also resolved with the update.
Fingers-crossed I'll stick with Android for a while (not sure about Acer though)

Upvote 0
My update was smooth as silk and haven't had a single problem. Overall I like ICS but it is a bit frustrating that some programmers still haven't gotten around to updating their apps for ICS. The thing I miss the most are launcher options. There are so many awesome launchers that are still stuck on 2.3 I don't get it. The ICS pickings are way to narrow and nothing seems to have that just right fit. Go launcher EX is still the best launcher ever, imo, but it never even made it to HC so the chance it's going to be made ICS functional isn't going to have me holding my breath.

I'm guessing most of the people complaining about broken this, bug that, are simply blaming the wrong people. OTA updates are made for machines running vanilla installs only. If you rooted, modded, rommed, or otherwise fudged around with your vanilla install and didn't take proper precautions before accepting the update then you're the one who shot your own foot off.

Upvote 0
My Iconia is useless! It turns on but as soon as it try to do something, the screen goes black and says "android " ....then it goes back to the home screen....but as soon as i touch it the screen goes black and says "android " again. This SUCKS .....I use this tablet so much for keeping track of jobs and so on.....what options do i have? I may run to Best Buy and buy another one.....that works.

Wow, that sounds terrible, I upgraded mine last night, and although I haven't had much time on it, it seems to have gone well. I did back up all my apps, then did a factory reset before I upgraded, may be that is why it has some problems for some. I like it so far, it seems snappier, and for me it actually seems more stable. Also my speech to text works much better than before, which was basically useless on my tab!

So far so good for me! :)

Upvote 0
so far, I have a few issues with ics 4.0.3, but otherwise my main apps seem to be working.

I use my tab primarily for work, and I noticed that the keyboard that I use has somehow slowed down.... what I mean is that as I type, there is sometimes a lag of a few characters, and then all of a sudden they appear.

other than that, I noticed that some of the graphics on some games I play don't display correctly, for example Galaxy on Fire 2, the smoke looks like big squares instead of being smoke...
and in Epic Defence: the Elements, the graphics that were at the bottom of the towers when you choose to upgrade them, has disappeared completely. before it was partially visible in hc3.2.1

shazam no longer works, my flash light widget doesn't work (another app does tho), and some other apps miss behave....

that's all so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones