• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Much Do You Love Your S3?

How Much Do You Love Your S3

• Hands down best phone I've ever owned

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • Great device, very satisfied

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • Good device, but haven't used it enough yet

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Meh, overrated

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kishin14

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Title says it all.

I love it so far. My only complaint would be Samsung's inconsistent build quality. For example, my power button is pretty loose. So is the phone displayed at the store I got it from. I'm not worried that it's going to fall out, but my friends S3 's power button is much tighter. Hardly any wiggle at all. Also, I've heard that some folks have issues with the screen showing what looks like dark blotches or ink spots on a black backgrounds noticeable in dark rooms. Thankfully, my unit was spared from this screen issue.

Apart from that, this is easily the best phone I've ever owned. I love everything else about it. It's fast as heck and I love the fact that it comes with NFC, 2gigs of ram, expandable memory and a removable battery. This phone seems as future proof as it gets these days.

Another great thing is the battery life and temp. This is the first phone I've not felt compelled to charge overnight. I can easily get 5 hours of screen time with battery life to spare. The battery also stays way cooler than my last phone, the rezound. I can finally play 3D games like Mass Effect: Infiltrator and Final Fantasy 3 for more than 15 minutes without fear of overheating.

I also have to commend Samsung's native video player. It's played everything I've thrown at it, including, WMVs, AVIs and MKVs. It's not as option-rich as some third party players like Dice or MX, but also doesn't have as many problems play different containers. Besides, it has the three most important options for me: separate brightness control, ability to play both embedded subtitles and those from a file, and a slick UI. It likely draws less power since it uses hardware acceleration.

Coming from the pixel packing rezound, I thought the screen was going to be a downgrade. And while I can see the pentile matrix dots fairly easily, I actually think I like it more because of the better viewing angles and contrast ratio. Also, even though the screen is bigger, the pentile display on the S3 looks better than on any other super amoled screen I've seen before, including the GNex. I also thought I'd never get used to the size, but its form factor masks the size pretty well, making it look smaller than it really is. And it's so incredibly thin. And uniformly thin too. None of this top hump, ridges, or bottom fat lip nonsense.

Anyway, where do you rate the S3 after using it for a while?

I've had mine for around a week now.

No problems at all. A few crashes but I'm pretty sure that it was the app's fault.

Other than that its nothing but stuff that comes with getting used to a new phone.

My home key feels a little loose, but the screen protector is pressed up against it and it holds it steady. I never noticed until you mentioned it.

As for the screen, it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

A great phone all round tbh.

Upvote 0
I've had mine for around a week now.

My home key feels a little loose, but the screen protector is pressed up against it and it holds it steady. I never noticed until you mentioned it.

I was actually referring to the power button (on the side of the phone) and not the home button at the bottom. My home button is actually nice and tight. But it just shows you the inconsistency I was talking about.

Upvote 0
Well this is unfair really because I just upgraded to this phone from a HTC hero. While I loved that phone it was slow, very slow. But I've always enjoyed android phones over Iphones and this one is amazing. All my friends have Iphones but when they see my larger screen they have to be a bit wowed :D But then again looks like Apple will have that covered in the next Iphone 5. In all I'll stick with this brand of phones probably because I like googles software over other. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Title says it all.

I love it so far. My only complaint would be Samsung's inconsistent build quality. For example, my power button is pretty loose. So is the phone displayed at the store I got it from. I'm not worried that it's going to fall out, but my friends S3 's power button is much tighter. Hardly any wiggle at all. Also, I've heard that some folks have issues with the screen showing what looks like dark blotches or ink spots on a black backgrounds noticeable in dark rooms. Thankfully, my unit was spared from this screen issue.

Apart from that, this is easily the best phone I've ever owned. I love everything else about it. It's fast as heck and I love the fact that it comes with NFC, 2gigs of ram, expandable memory and a removable battery. This phone seems as future proof as it gets these days.

Another great thing is the battery life and temp. This is the first phone I've not felt compelled to charge overnight. I can easily get 5 hours of screen time with battery life to spare. The battery also stays way cooler than my last phone, the rezound. I can finally play 3D games like Mass Effect: Infiltrator and Final Fantasy 3 for more than 15 minutes without fear of overheating.

I also have to commend Samsung's native video player. It's played everything I've thrown at it, including, WMVs, AVIs and MKVs. It's not as option-rich as some third party players like Dice or MX, but also doesn't have as many problems play different containers. Besides, it has the three most important options for me: separate brightness control, ability to play both embedded subtitles and those from a file, and a slick UI. It likely draws less power since it uses hardware acceleration.

Coming from the pixel packing rezound, I thought the screen was going to be a downgrade. And while I can see the pentile matrix dots fairly easily, I actually think I like it more because of the better viewing angles and contrast ratio. Also, even though the screen is bigger, the pentile display on the S3 looks better than on any other super amoled screen I've seen before, including the GNex. I also thought I'd never get used to the size, but its form factor masks the size pretty well, making it look smaller than it really is. And it's so incredibly thin. And uniformly thin too. None of this top hump, ridges, or bottom fat lip nonsense.

Anyway, where do you rate the S3 after using it for a while?

2 gigs of ram? Mine has one and all specs I have seen read 1gig?

Future proof, lol, until the next version comes out in a few months.

The spec' of the phone is nice. I dislike the aesthetics of it and the quality of construction with the use and poor feeling, cheap looking plastics. I know people want lightness, I would have preffered a liite more substance over weight loss. HTC have a very nice, quality equivalent that looks and feels much more 'professional'

So far my phone is fine, just as my Samsung Galaxy Note and the S11. The screen on the Note is every bit as good as the S111. The S11 is also superb, some people actualy prefer the screen on the S11 to the S111. I guess its a question of taste?

Ryland

Upvote 0
2 gigs of ram? Mine has one and all specs I have seen read 1gig?

Future proof, lol, until the next version comes out in a few months.

The spec' of the phone is nice. I dislike the aesthetics of it and the quality of construction with the use and poor feeling, cheap looking plastics. I know people want lightness, I would have preffered a liite more substance over weight loss. HTC have a very nice, quality equivalent that looks and feels much more 'professional'

So far my phone is fine, just as my Samsung Galaxy Note and the S11. The screen on the Note is every bit as good as the S111. The S11 is also superb, some people actualy prefer the screen on the S11 to the S111. I guess its a question of taste?

Ryland

The Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 has 2 gigs of ram. That's the only one I can speak for since I have it. If the phones are different...I didn't think they were.

Upvote 0
US GSIII's have 2 gigs of ram and a Snapdragon dual core @ 1.5 GHz... int'l versions have 1 gig and the quad core Exynos @ 1.4

this is due to current LTE and quad core incompatibilities

Yea and I think rumors went around that if this phone wanted to work with Jelly Bean Samsung gave it an extra gig just so it would not be an issue down the road. Not sure how true that is.

Upvote 0
Yea and I think rumors went around that if this phone wanted to work with Jelly Bean Samsung gave it an extra gig just so it would not be an issue down the road. Not sure how true that is.

i heard that it was because of the LTE networks here. something about them needing more memory than the H+ networks in europe and so on... idk :thinking:

Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy 3S has elevated my opinion of the Android OS as a whole. It was much needed, as I was coming off of a long list of disappointing Motorola Droids. I was actually considering going over to an iPhone this time arround. In the end, I didn't, and I am happy with my decision not to. I love the 3S, for its weight to size ratio, and how thin it is. The display is fantastic, and it's a super speedy phone that never lags. So that brings me to my quesiton: So which is faster? The quad core with 1gb ram? Or the dual core with 2gb ram?

Upvote 0
I've just had mine 3 days now, having stepped up from a 1st generation HTC EVO 4g. It took me several weeks (after switching from an iphone) to fall in love with the EVO, but only 1/2 a day to get there with the SIII.

I have no problem with the aesthetics and quality of the build, in fact it puzzles me to hear people say that. I think it's beautiful. Feels good in my hand - nothing about it looks or feels cheap to me.

Wow, is it fast. Easily 4 to 5 times faster than my EVO. But I also just switched from Sprint to Verizon, so that's a huge factor, too.

All my friends have Iphones but when they see my larger screen they have to be a bit wowed :D But then again looks like Apple will have that covered in the next Iphone 5.

Before I saw this phone, and after Sprint did away with unlimited data plans (which we learned in June when hubs upgraded to the new EVO 4g lte and we had to get a new contract) I was considering going back to iphone when 5 came out... but iphone 5 will just have a 4" screen... smaller than my old EVO... one of the deciding factors for me. 4" just looks too small. :D

Hubs paid the $350 cancellation fee to Sprint and bought a SIII also. the new EVO will be going on ebay.

I was not happy with the dimmness of the screen at first, but then turned off automatic and set everything to it's brightess setting, and gosh, it's beautiful and bright. Even overriding all the power management stuff like that, it seems to have about 3 times the battery life as my evo. Looks like I'll no longer have to keep power cords all over the house, car, and job.

Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy 3S has elevated my opinion of the Android OS as a whole. It was much needed, as I was coming off of a long list of disappointing Motorola Droids. I was actually considering going over to an iPhone this time arround. In the end, I didn't, and I am happy with my decision not to.

Motorola has done more for iOS than Apple itself with it's shitty Droid line.

Upvote 0
This phone is THE BEST phone I have owned. I had a HTC MyTouch (Magic). It was old, slow and had the tiniest screen. Upgraded to Samsung Exhibit II. It was ok, pretty good compared to the MyTouch. Also a small screen. Then the Galaxy S3 debuted and I was drooling over it! I would read reviews, watch videos.... I HAD to have it! I had my Exhibit II for only 6 months. I felt it was a little extravagant to get a new phone after owning one for only 6 months. Then I read about how people got a good deal through T-mobile (My current provider) and asked for the retentions department. I got 2 for $125 each, and I was able to upgrade my plan for an extra $20 (Unlimited text and data). With that deal, how could I pass it up?

I was obsessed since it's debut and for good reason! It's so fast compared to my old Exhibit II. I was transferring data and going to do a factory reset to sell on ebay. Man, that thing was SO SLOW compared to the GS3! And the screen was not very responsive. I didn't even notice it until I had the GS3 to compare it with. What a difference! I also love the screen size. Although, I have had a few people say, "Wow.... that's a really big phone." Yeah.... so what? It's AWESOME! I hang out with a bunch of people with iPhones for work and they all look so puny now. I don't know how people do anything useful on those things!

Best phone ever, but it's not like I had amazing phones before it. I tell myself it's going to be my phone for at least 2 years... but I'm anxious to see if Samsung or someone else can top the GS3.... then.... it might not be my phone for a whole 2 years....

Upvote 0
I love my samsung galaxy s3.

I've gone through alot of phones (all iphones for example & S2) but this beats it handsdown.

Don't get me wrong its not completely perfect. For example, my keyboard and pressing sounds will cut off and not work, then suddenly work again, and having major probs with facebook not letting me upload photos (not sure if its the actual app itself, as tried 3rd party apps and they don't let me upload either).

BUT I love the S3 how it allows you to customize everything, and the speed of the phone itself..amazing! Only having small hands (lol i'm a woman) a case is definitely needed to stop me dropping the little bugger (again lol).

I can honestly say I'd stick with Samsung (and Android) and never go back to A**le. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm going to save my vote for a couple if weeks as my opinion of the phone is deteriorating. Constant internet connection error, battery life is getting worse, temple run doesn't play smooth for anything, and charges show as molasses while you have to reboot to get 4g and it sucks battery like nobodies business.

Samsung should be able to fix most if not all of it, whether they will or not is the question.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones