• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to Add Buttons to Notification Panel?

yuukei

Nov 30, 2013
I have been looking around Google for an answer to this but have not found a non-third party solution to this. With that said, the reason why I don't want to install a third party program is because I find having two notification bars redundant ...

But what I have noticed is, some people has the "mobile data" button option on their notification bar or under their notification available buttons selection menu. But for some reason mine doesn't :( Is there a way to add buttons (not already on the default list) onto the notification panel please? I would attach a picture but as a new user I cannot soo....

FYI: I have a Virgin Mobile Canada S3 (not rooted) running Jellybean 4.3

Swipe down the notification bar. Upper right hand corner, just to the right of the settings gear icon, is the icon for the quick settings setup. Tap on this. Selected options have a green bar below the button. I think you can select eight. It will prompt you if you have too many. Easy to change in a hurry for special needs.

Upvote 0
Hmm yah I did that, but the "mobile data" button does not show up on mine. Like it's not in that list shown.

Mine only has:
Wifi
Hands-free mode
Sound
Screen Rotation
Multi Window
GPS
Blocking Mode
Power Saving
S Beam
Flight mode
Screen Mirroring
NFC
Bluetooth
Smart Stay
Sync
Wifi Hotspot

I really want the "Mobile Data" icon ... Is there a way to add it please?

Upvote 0
Oh? Eh, hmm.. I don't know, I have 4 empty spaces on mine under available buttons... :/ Do phones vary depending on carrier? Or am I missing an update of some sort?

Hmm, that sounded like an awesome idea to activate mobile data then re-check available buttons, but unfortunately it did not show up even after restarting my phone :(

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2013-12-03-00-57-34.png

Sooo I can finally post images XD so this is what I meant not having the "mobile data" option to add to my notification bar and would love to know if there is a way to not use 3rd-party apps to add it in please and thanks.

Upvote 0
Feature has been removed from all NA phones when you upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3 it looks like. There are ways to fix it supposedly but those are not easy to do and have a risk of softbricking or hardbrick your phone.
I am on 4.2.1 and do not have that notification panel. Am I missing something? Where do I find it? And welcome to the forum...nice to have knowledgeable people joining us!

JM

Upvote 0
I am in the US and have Verizon. Updated to 4.3 about 2 weeks ago and I still have the Mobile Data button. Still occasionally have the wi-fi slow connection issue so I use that button to get back my wi-fi connection by turning off the mobile data.

hmm now that you said that, I'm starting to wonder maybe it depends on carrier and country? So far I don't think any of my Canadian friends with the S3 or S4 have that option anymore since the 4.3 update :(

Upvote 0
Over on XDA, member CNexus made a flashable .zip file that adds the missing toggles back in on 4.3 (including mobile data) for Sprint/VM/Boost. However, the VM part for USA is different than for Canada, the Canadian users fall under the AT&T umbrella, not Sprint, so our .zip file probably won't work. However, if you contact CNexus and ask nicely, he might put one together for you as well. Never hurts to try at least.

Reactions: yuukei
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones