• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to disable fingerprint sensor from waking up screen?

Hey just go to bootloader and then go to erase all settings. That will remove the fingerprint opening.
the bootloader or fastboot mode does not have a command or option to "erase all settings". you can fastboot command into recovery and then either wipe data/factory reset which will wipe the data or you can wipe cache but the fingerprint data does not reside in cache.

Upvote 0
If the fingerprint reading was never set up it's hard to see how a factory reset would make any difference. You can try, but if it does work it would mean that some of your biometric settings are not in their default state, in which case you may be able to solve this by changing them without doing a reset.

I'd go into your fingerprint settings and just confirm that there is nothing stored and nothing turned on (which are different things). I don't know Redmi devices, but my Samsung has an option "Fingerprint always on", which enables/disables the fingerprint reader when the screen is off. If I turn that off then touching the fingerprint sensor does not wake the screen.

(I have the opposite complaint with Samsung: when it periodically wants a PIN for verification it turns the fingerprint sensor off, so touching the sensor does nothing and you have to wake the screen some other way to see the message to tell you to enter the PIN. Google did this right on my old Pixel, where touching the sensor would present you with the message that you needed to use the PIN this time, whereas Samsung's solution is lazy and stupid: "lazy" because I'm sure that turning the sensor off completely and doing nothing else was the thing that required least effort from the coder, "stupid" because the user doesn't know whether the phone needs the PIN or whether they just missed the under-display fingerprint sensor, so will always waste time trying again before they figure out it's a PIN request and wake the screen some other way).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones