• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to ensure a non-gmail (POP) email sends without sticking in the "outbox"

While I can't guarantee that all email services have an easy to manage web-based solution that will work on the Android's web browser, I find this technique to work perfectly when I'm on the go in a low(er)-speed network area (pretty much anything from spotty G3 to Edge ... anything non-Wi-Fi) and I NEED to get an email out without the inevitable sticking in the "outbox" that any experienced Android G1 user can attest to.

So, here's what I do, it works wonders with AOL accounts thanks to AOL's great mobile-friendly web mail page.

Compose your email on the G1's email program, add any attachments that you were planning on, if you were, and then save as draft.

Pop out to your browser, go to your email service's web based mail, retrieve your "draft" version email and send. At that point you're no longer working from POP servers, you're pushing from the actual servers of the email service you use which will pretty much guarantee no hiccups in the process. (Or no more than using their service as normal).

While I admit I haven't done a lot of email sending post my OTA official cupcake update to see if they've cleared up the "sticking" problem ... I've spent the past few months using this technique to great success.

Yeah, it's not the most convenient method, but if you're out somewhere and you NEED to get an email off effectively, a few extra seconds of switching programs and making sure the job gets done works wonders ... as once an email is stuck in the out box no amount of refreshing, rebooting or long-pressing will do anything to get it to move.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones