1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How to get adoptable storage for Sony Z4 tab?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by norweger, Aug 29, 2016.

  1. norweger

    norweger Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    38
    Posts:
    111
    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011

    Sep 27, 2011
    111
    14
    38
    I've got a Sony Z4 tab with a 128 GB SD card, and Android Marshmallow. Adoptable storage is supposed to be a feature of Marshmallow, yet it doesn't show up as an option now that I've inserted my SD card. Would I have to use ADB?
     

    Advertisement

  2. norweger

    norweger Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    38
    Posts:
    111
    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011

    Sep 27, 2011
    111
    14
    38
    I found a walk-through for how to get adoptable storage here. Everything worked as long as I left out the last colon (it should be mixed 90, not mixed: 90)

    But a funny thing happened. My Sony Z4 tab has 32 GB of storage, the card has 128 GB.

    Before I formatted everything looked alright, but after I formatted it looked like this.

    [​IMG]

    So the "total storage used" has all of the sudden risen from 29,79 GB to 50,12 GB (that's an increase of used space by 20,33 GB).

    The numbers don't add up.
     
  3. tube517

    tube517 Android Expert
    Rank:
     #34
    Points:
    693
    Posts:
    4,006
    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2010

    Jun 7, 2010
    4,006
    2,037
    693
    Male
    USA
    I have my phone set up like this. (Not a Sony but same concept)

    Part of your sd card is adoptable/internal. (11.71 gb of the sd card is adoptable)

    The remaining part is portable/external. (107 gb of the sd card is portable)

    I don't understand the language but it looks like the directions were for partial internal and partial external.

    The "mixed:90" set up your card as 90% portable/external. The other 10% was partitioned as adoptable/internal.
     
    norweger likes this.
  4. norweger

    norweger Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    38
    Posts:
    111
    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011

    Sep 27, 2011
    111
    14
    38
    Thanks.

    Ugh! I only chose to have it "mixed" because the command "sm partition disk:ID private" didn't work.

    To get it fixed, I assume I would have to reformat the SD card, but now that all my apps have been moved, is there a quick way to move them all back the tablet's storage?
     
  5. tube517

    tube517 Android Expert
    Rank:
     #34
    Points:
    693
    Posts:
    4,006
    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2010

    Jun 7, 2010
    4,006
    2,037
    693
    Male
    USA
    You can format the "adoptable/internal" back as portable but you will lose all your data on the card.


    Did you want the sd card as all adoptable or all portable? Because if you do all adoptable, your card will be encrypted and you won't be able to use it anywhere else and unable to read on a pc.

    EDIT: Just noticed that the numbers still don't add up. The 11.71 +32 gb should be 43.71 not 50. Weird
     
    norweger likes this.
  6. biancoceleste

    biancoceleste Member
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    16
    Posts:
    72
    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013

    Mar 12, 2013
    72
    7
    16
    Male
    Sydney, Australia
    I didn't know the Z4 tab supported that feature.
     
  7. tube517

    tube517 Android Expert
    Rank:
     #34
    Points:
    693
    Posts:
    4,006
    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2010

    Jun 7, 2010
    4,006
    2,037
    693
    Male
    USA
    He enabled through ADB
     
    norweger likes this.
  8. norweger

    norweger Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    38
    Posts:
    111
    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011

    Sep 27, 2011
    111
    14
    38
    I would like to have all of the 128 GB as adoptable. Besides being able to take the card out of the tablet and read the files in a SD card reader, is there any advantages to having a partition for external storage?

    This is what it looks like when I am connecting the table to my PC with 90 % external and 10 % adoptable. I can browse and copy and delete files.

    [​IMG]


    PS. Yes, the numbers don't add up. Strange thing. I would really like to get it all reversed and get everything as adoptable, though I am not sure how to go about it.

    Is there a way to format "external" to adoptable? I think my only other option is to remove the card, format it and insert it again, though that way I would lose all data that's currently on the adoptable part of the SD card (I don't know how to put everything back onto the tablet's internal storage while I wipe the card).
     

Share This Page

Loading...