• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get GTA3 working on Evo V

lnhs2007

Apr 29, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Apologies if this thread is redundant, but to my knowledge no one has ever come out and plainly said what it takes to get this game working on the Evo V.

- ROOT REQUIRED -
- S-OFF REQUIRED -

After much looking around and wanting this game ever so badly, I finally decided today was the day I would get it working, one way or the other. Did the same thing regarding Gameloft 3d games a while back as detailed in this thread: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5070639

Problem: The Play Store won't show you the game, even with an Evo3D build.prop, because while the initial release of GTA3 worked with the Evo3D, the game's v1.3 update removed support for it. Installing the v1.0 apk immediately crashes upon opening.

It occurred to me that the Evo3D was originally on Gingerbread, and more importantly was on Gingerbread when GTA3 was released. It doesn't have ICS support, of course. It's the same issue I had with 3D games.

Solution: You could just install a Sprint Gingerbread ROM, but who wants to live with that? The workaround I'm using is dual-booting a Sprint Gingerbread ROM (viperROM) just for playing games that don't play nice with ICS. This is accomplished using using Boot Manager, found in the Play Store and outlined here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1803744

The game does have occasional glitches which were probably fixed with the update, but it's 100% playable in the first hour I played around on it.

To summarize:
1) Obtain the original GTA3 v1.0 apk.
2) Install a Gingerbread ROM either as your main ROM or using the dual-boot method described above.
3) Install the GTA3 apk.
4) Open GTA3, download game data.
5) Win!

I have the latest version of GTA on my phone (MidnightROM 1.3.7), the only issue I have is no sound during gameplay.

weird i have midnight rom... but ive noticed you need to do a fresh restart before playing or the game chugs.... even 1.56ghz oc. but with fresh reboot and cache / memory clean game runs on max like fluid....

try reinstalling i had sound issue but reinstall fixes it.

Upvote 0
...the only issue I have is no sound during gameplay.

...you need to do a fresh restart before playing or the game chugs.... even 1.56ghz oc. but with fresh reboot and cache / memory clean game runs on max like fluid....

My method works flawlessly every time. I'm glad some people have had no apparent trouble with it but lots of others like myself have. I've seen lots of question threads but no solid answers other than sideloading, which didn't work for me either. What I've given is a solid answer so hopefully this thread helps out somebody.

Upvote 0
Much easier way if you own or have access to another device that is compatible with the game:

Install the game on the other device. Use Titanium Backup to backup the game. Restore the game on the Evo V with TB. Run the game and download the data (unlike Gameloft games, GTA3 doesn't do a check to see if the game is compatible when you run it).

And it works.

I've done this on stock, rooted ROM, with no S-OFF.

And as a related note... GTA Vice City comes out tomorrow, 12/6! Can't wait!

Upvote 0
Much easier way if you own or have access to another device that is compatible with the game:

Install the game on the other device. Use Titanium Backup to backup the game. Restore the game on the Evo V with TB. Run the game and download the data (unlike Gameloft games, GTA3 doesn't do a check to see if the game is compatible when you run it).
I did it this way and didn't even let it install. I just purchased it for another phone, then installed it on the Evo V. No side loading needed.

Upvote 0
There is no need to dual boot or anything like that, you only need to change the build.prop long enough to tell the play store you have an Evo 3d and purchase the game, after that, you can revert back and the game will show up in the play Store for your Evo V.

I have Evo 3d build.prop and it shows in Play Store as not compatible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones