• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to get push gmail in Email app

dbarrett480

Nov 3, 2009
I like the email app on the Droid better than the Gmail app because of the combined inbox and color coded account email. The downside I found was that my gmail wouldn't push to it. Well I figured out how to make gmail push in the email app:

1. Go into email, if you haven't set up an account yet it will automatically start you in the account creation wizard. If you already have an account, then you will have to press menu>add account.

2. Enter your gmail address and password

3. Press "Manual setup"

4. Choose "Exchange Account"

5. in the "Domain\Username" field type your full gmail address after the \, so it should look like this: \youremail@gmail.com

6. The password field will auto-populate with the password you typed

7. in the "exchange server" field erase "gmail.com" and type: m.google.com

8. scroll down and click next

9. It will say "retreiving account information" wait for that to finish

10. choose the amount you want to synchronize and if you want it to be your default account.

11. I unchecked "Sync Contacts from this account" because I have my contacts synced with my gmail profile on my phone

12. Click Next

13. Name your account

14. Click done

Reactions: d.knight99
This is interesting. I'm surprised there aren't more replies here.

I tried it and it wasn't downloading all the messages from my inbox and it wasn't pulling up older emails when I looked through folders/labels. I do like the look of the Email app better though! And I love the combined inbox. I don't know why there needs to be two separate email apps. I just want push email the way it works in the Gmail app in the Email app with a combined inbox. Ugh.

Upvote 0
Good find!

My observations:

The email app of course doesn't support threading, so your conversations on the same topic will show up as separate emails.

My stars didn't propogate when it retrieved the mail. I had a message already starred, and it isn't showing up starred on the phone. I starred a message from the phone and when it finally refreshed, it made the message unread, but the star did propogate so that the message is starred in my online inbox too. I starred a new message from the browser and it didn't propogate to starred on the phone.

Last, as what seems to be a consequence of the email app (the same thing happens with my work mail using an exchange server), when a message is read outside of the email client on the phone (like from the browser on the PC), the read status doesn't push to the phone. So the notification of new mail in the phone's status bar persists even though the mail has been read. It's annoying because I leave work having read all my mail, pick up my phone sometime later and see the notification and think I have new mail, but its just a stale notification.

Furthermore, with the situation I just described, on my work account, a refresh, either by manually tapping menu > refresh, or automatically when I pull up the email app, will at least show the message in my inbox as being read (or deleted if applicable) AND clear the status bar notification. With this gmail account, refresh seems to do nothing, I just have to wait for the phone to refresh it seems, and even though the mssage shows up read, the status bar notification STILL persists.

I'd like to use the email app too, but that whole persistent notification in the taskbar is a dealbreaker for me. I've turned off notifications for my work exchange account in the bar for that very reason. It's just annoying to see that notification and think i have mail waiting and it turns out its mail i already read 5 hours ago.

If anyone can confirm or refute my observations, i'd love to hear and get this "working" to what I think should be right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones